Olfa knife

Guest ncinirator

Guest tint rookie
I don't know if glass is getting softer or olfa blades are getting harder but lately it seems like I'm scratching more than normal, there always seems to be a faint scratch left behind barely noticable (by the way- G35 quarter glass, ultra soft!!)

[*]253282

I dont think they are getting harder...more like duller. I couldnt tell ya how many times ive thrown whole blades away cuz they felt like they werent cutting clean. almost like they were dragging, grinding against the film (thank god not the glass). agreed a blade costs a quarter...but the quarters not going to waste if all the snapping is saving the glass. I hate it when all the snapping is in vain and im still not getting a good cutting edge. I know a dull blade is more opt to scratch glass, so im still pisssed about wasting the quarter to try a whole new clip to save the glass. guess im just a cheap arse, weighing out saving vs. wasting a quarter. seems like around last summer I started noticing the problem with the blade quality....anyone else notice it too? :lol2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintslut

this is nothing new, have noticed this problem for the last 10 -12 years.

If your buying blades from your dist, save them up and send them back for an exchange.

Have noticed that when buying blades from smaller dist, who probably dont move a lot of tools,

the blades usually lose the edge much quicker. Use a button or a soft piece of plastic when cutting rears

and qtrs.

I'd say the actual degree used (10-40 )isn't as important as keeping it as consistant as the pressure used..it's a balance between the 2

eg..you could use a 40 degree angle and press less or a 10 degree angle and press a little bit harder..as long as the "feel" is there

1. pressure

2. length of blade

3. angle held at

:lol6

[*]188662

IMO, blade angle is the most important factor here, along with sharpness of coarse. Length is not an issue when using an exacto blade.

I change out my blade before cutting back or front glass. I am not too particular about that on roll-downs... scratching isn't too much of a concern when cutting at the edge of a gasket, as opposed to surface cuts.

Guest tint rookie
damnit ever since this post came up I've cut the glass on 2 cars :beach

[*]254392

:dunno

its amazing how tint can bring out those pre-existing scratches in glass.

now that just aint right...

I notice when im nervous. I fcuk up. youve probably tinted how many cars without scratching? then this post got ya nervous. just relax, use that wrist of yours :wall and cut film.

just as a tangent

when I used to play pool all the time. I used to only bend at the elbow. when I was losin' id get irritated and start using my shoulder as well. thus swinging harder and less accurate. only to get further behind. anyway, im sure theres some parallel in cutting without scratching.

Oh believe me, I have seen a decline in new blade quality. Not so much with my knife replacements, but I just got a crappy box of flat blades a couple of weeks ago. I used to use one flat blade for every 2 to 3 cars, now it's more like 1, maybe 2, per car.

On the topic of the film showing more scratches in the glass, that's a problem that we will never get around. Remember the older Ford trucks, and how nasty their roll-downs would scratch on the outside from normal use? I have a small disclaimer on my invoices warning people that existing scratches will show up more after tint is applied. I also suggest to never roll-down a dirty window, and keep those gaskets clean.

Guest HeavyBreather
Sharp point is a must grasshopper!  Or you could use a button under the point and the blade would not touch the glass! :lol6

[*]188471

Sorry Guys, I must be a little slow today. I have never heard of using a button. Could someone please explain how this is done.

And are you talking about a button like whats on a shirt? :lol2

Archived