Mazda3 Questions

Guest dvlsh1

Guest dvlsh1

Before I start in... I'm no tint guru, so forgive me if I come off extremely novice.

I've decided to tint my Mazda3 using a pre-cut tint kit from tintkits.com. I know... most of you will probably snear at this post a bit and tell me I should have a professional do it. And normally I would, as I had a a pro do my Mazda6. However I'm kinda on a limited budget right now and have decided to give it a try. I figure if I screw it up I'll wait a couple months (or maybe next summer) until I have enough scratch to have it re-done. Besides, I'm pretty handy at the DIY type jobs, so as long as I have good instructions I almost always do a good job.

I've always heard that the cutting is the hard part, so I took that out of the equation by get the pre-cut kit. But my main concern at this point is the back window. Long way to go for it, but here's the main question: Is the curve on the back window of the Mazda3 severe enough that I will need a heat gun? I've heard (on this board and others) that the Mazda3 is extremely easy to tint, but I don't want to take anything for granted. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any opinions on Solar Gard film? Kind of a null issue since I've already purchased it, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Thanks.

Matt

Guest dvlsh1

Thanks for the reply Blade.

The shrinking makes me weary about doing it myself. I guess it's my fault for not doing more research before buying the film. I'm pretty confident that I can do all the other windows. But do you think a shop would have a problem doing the back for me with my film? My worry is that they won't want to use my film, but I want to make sure it will match the rest of my windows.

As for the kind of SG film I got, I have no idea. Tintkits.com appears to be a professional operation as they are plastered all over this and many other tinting sites. So I can only hope they sold me good quality film.

As I said before, should have done more research I suppose.

Yes, as Blade said, the back window must be shrunk. It is an easy one to shrink for those who have experience. I don't think there are too many shops out there that will install your film, but you might find one to do it without a warranty. I won't install any other film but mine, but like I said, you might find a place. Good luck. And, good luck on the sides. Let us know how it turns out.

The only thing I would be careful wit his you say your on a budget , yet it'll cost you more next yr to strip off the stuff you bought/buying now and redo it rather than getting it done once and right now :lol2

I'll always wonder what it is about tint that makes a customer want to pay top price for a brand new car...and skimp out on the difference from pro to DIY on something as major of an alteration as window tint ...on an older car I can see it ...just not on a new car :lol2

I forgot to ask ..is it the sedan style or the sport ..if it's the sport hatch ..the shrink is a bit harder for a beginner.

Good luck though if your attemping it :beer

Guest dvlsh1

After 10% off, I paid about 80 bucks for the film. The best I could find in my area having a pro do it was $210. I've been contemplating my choice for about a month now. I had a pro do my Mazda6 and it came out awesome. Not to say that I think the job was so easy that I could do it myself. I just figured that it is a small car and have heard it's pretty easy. Plus I think this is something I would like to take a shot at for personal reasons just to see if I can do it. I'll start with the back window on Saturday and see how it goes. If I don't think the shrink turns out right I'll decide whether or not to proceed with the application. Like I said, if it doesn't work out I'll wait until next summer to have it done by a pro when funds are more plentiful :spit

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Matt

Guest autotinter
The only thing I would be careful wit his you say your on a budget , yet it'll cost you more next yr to strip off the stuff you bought/buying now and redo it rather than getting it done once and right now :lol6

I'll always wonder what it is about tint that makes a customer want to pay top price for a brand new car...and skimp out on the  difference from pro to DIY on something as major of an alteration as window tint ...on an older car I can see it ...just not on a new car  :spit

[*]323708

:spit

I'v asked myself that same question many times :spit

Archived