please explain reason for edge seal purpose?

In other words the film is made so poorly, the edges will corrode without it...way to go FM's :wall

[*]328938

No... just made with highly corrosive precious metals (silver or copper), which are the most efficient metals at reflecting IR without losing VLT.

Guess they (CPF/Vista, Bekaert/Hilite and Southwall/VKool, Huper O) just haven't found a way to stabilize the metals so they wouldn't corrode.

When trimmed with a less than sharp blade, these films are more prone to corrosion. To cover their backside, FM's ask that the edges be sealed in areas of corrosive air conditions such as salt or excess pollution.

I suppose you are right Dave. It just seems rediculous to me that would be the case. I'm not convinced that the best metals for the job are those most subject to corrosion. Silver and gold are by nature stable.

Why not use lead?

Why not use a self healing element in the film if it is that fragile?

Why do the other elements not exhibit this characteristic?

I suppose you are right Dave. It just seems ridiculous to me that would be the case. I'm not convinced that the best metals for the job are those most subject to corrosion. Silver and gold are by nature stable.

Why not use lead?

Why not use a self healing element in the film if it is that fragile?

Why do the other elements not exhibit this characteristic?

[*]328964

Well CP has intellectual property rights to an interesting way of sealing edges... applied for and awarded. Just don't know when it will be released publicly.

Yes you would think they'd be into other metals... maybe they are and just have not said anything about it.... that is looking into other metals or ways of solar energy rejection...

Keep eyes and ears focused on Southwall, CP, Bekaert, or MMM (well Bek took too long in figuring it out so maybe the other three). These are the innovators of today's films and have the research capacity to come up with new products... Madico is probably into the mix someway or another.

Anyway, I agree that film should not have to be sealed... until then... we can only moan. :thumbdown

In other words the film is made so poorly, the edges will corrode without it...way to go FM's :dunno

[*]328938

:lol

[*]328946

No bingo from me. If you want a performance that only certain metals can give you why abandon it if sealing allows you to use it. -If glass is made so poorly that it needs safety film to feel safe behind it...not complaining there, are you? If glass is made so poorly it needs heat protection film,......

why not use lead? I am guessing Health is just one of a few reasons.

self healing elements? if there would be any I'd drink em every morning.

other elements, different characteristics? :lol that's the nature of things, if other elements don't have other characteristics it wouldn't make sense to use them.

by the way I h@te sealing as well.

Archived