Calculating Waste

Guest wftech

Guest windoworx
I just guestimate and then give them a 10% discount.....that way instead of being really high I am just sorta high :eyebrows

[*]328489

A think I shall adopt this new method. Do you think it would be OK if I was just "kinda sorta High".

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah tinit, I know there's alot of knuckleheads that don't accout for waste, and cheap it out.  They come, they go, then a new batch of the idiots flood the market before they go broke, and the cycle repeats. :cool:lol

[*]328491

Ran into that four times today :bat

Why not keep it simple and just add a few inches to the measurements?  If I have to use a 60" roll to get a 51" measurement, they simply pay for the full 60".  I thought everyone did that. :cool

[*]328457

Thats how I do it.

I think that every trade under the sun does it with a similar equation.

But not too long ago someone here ripped me a new one for suggesting this method. :lol

Oh yea, pencil and a quote pad works best as far as I'm concerned.

Example, 3 x 5 = 15 SQ FT X my rate = cost of job.

Pretty simple!

Why don't you just use Microsoft Excel and create a spreadsheet for doing all of your estimates.  I have done that for both auto estimates, and flat-glass quotes. 

In my flat glass estimator, I can enter the width of the roll necessary, and it will calculate the square footage of film that is actually used, and the square footage of film trashed.  Mine only allows for one film width, 'cause I do not carry a large inventory, and order film as necessary for flat-glass jobs.

[*]328440

I use Excel and it does calculate film waste, but the problem is I have to manually account for the scraps I can re-use on other windows within the job. Have you built in some formula to automatically account for this? If you don't re-use the scraps you wind up with some huge waste, like when you cut two 9" by 82" sidelites out of a 72" roll.

Wftech

Why don't you just use Microsoft Excel and create a spreadsheet for doing all of your estimates.? I have done that for both auto estimates, and flat-glass quotes.?

In my flat glass estimator, I can enter the width of the roll necessary, and it will calculate the square footage of film that is actually used, and the square footage of film trashed.? Mine only allows for one film width, 'cause I do not carry a large inventory, and order film as necessary for flat-glass jobs.

[*]328440

I use Excel and it does calculate film waste, but the problem is I have to manually account for the scraps I can re-use on other windows within the job. Have you built in some formula to automatically account for this? If you don't re-use the scraps you wind up with some huge waste, like when you cut two 9" by 82" sidelites out of a 72" roll.

Wftech

[*]328779

No, it doesn't account for re-usable scraps, but it could. I don't do enough flat-glass to spend the time upgrading the program to do that. And, when those circumstances arise, I just use the pen-and-notepad method.

OMG....I can't believe the overkill used here.

Take notice of the oldies and experienced here Wtftech and do it as they say.

Calculate the glass size to the roll size needed to cover the glass and do it in your head.

KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid! :thumbdown

Devil

OMG....I can't believe the overkill used here.

Take notice of the oldies and experienced here Wtftech and do it as they say.

Calculate the glass size to the roll size needed to cover the glass and do it in your head.

KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid! :what

Devil

[*]329029

Well said Devil, like the KISS method too.

Also, use the KISS method in your sale presentations, especially for residential.

I see so many companies out there wowing the consumer with all of this high tech info that they get confused and don't buy from anyone at all! Keep it simple, heat rej, UV, glare.

If the client gets techy, then go there. But let them lead.

And as far as where to use those extra pieces, use a note pad to calculate your cuts before you order film. Roll up the extra after you cut it, tape it and mark the size on the tape. Never any confusion and you WILL use that extra piece somewhere else.

Note pad and pencil have been around a hell of a lot longer than Excel.

Archived