Howdy! Old-school tinter from waaaaay back.......

Guest redgtxdi

Guest redgtxdi

Thanks for the warm reception, guys......much appreciated!!!

As for the Bug............(hmmmmmm)...........do I still have it??? That's a bit of a bitter-sweet topic...........

Cliff notes:

Invested close to $20K in the thing.

Won more trophies than my room could hold.

Made cover & centerfold of VW Trends magazine Jan.1991

Made AutoSound & Security mag same year.

Gave away the thing in 1995 for $5K 'cuz I couldn't sell it to save my life. (Depressing, yes.)

I was under the gun to buy a house & needed the money for a down.

Long story short......I miss her. Yes, she looked as good as the pics show. Paint......immaculate. Interior.......simple, but purrty. Stereo.....all Sony (when Sony was still OK).

12 second quarter mile puttin' down about 180 naturally aspirated HP. Could drive the thing to anywhere with the custom Dave Folts 5 speed tranny.......(I bought, think the 2nd or 3rd one he ever made).

OK, I'm sick now...........(barf)...........nostalgia's killin' me!! :gasp

If anyone knows their VW flat-four stuff........here's some specs & a couple pics I have here from work..........

2076cc

48 IDA's (expensive, yes)

Bugpack forged crank

Pauter Rods

90.5 Cima pistons

Headflo street heads (40 x 37.5, ported, polished, welded, SS valves, Ti keepers, etc.)

Autocraft 1.4:1 rockers

Autocraft tapered pushrods

Engle K-8 cam

**Note....every piece on the motor that wasn't brass, was chromed........LITERALLY!

Tranny.........5spd Dave Folts unit.

Super Beetle 1st

Tight 2nd

Tight 3rd

Tight 4th

Bus 4th for the 5th gear

Gene Berg 5spd shifter.....(allows you to lockout 5th 'til you need it)

Super Diff

Super Axles

Rhino nosecone

etc. etc. etc. etc.......(I'm starting to get sick again.....LOL)

Anyway.........lotsa' money & good stuff in it for sure. BUT.......at least the house I bought back in '95 has tripled in value so the $$$ doesn't hurt so much as the "nostalgia" does.

PICS ------------> http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8775/img24219bv.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7783/img24229yc.jpg

:gasp Nice bug there :spit

Most guys on this site will notice the girl and not even see a car there (not that thats wrong) :lol2

I try to restore VWs on the off season (they usually take more time then that though :cry ).

I just finnished a 68 cal look (last winters project).

The year before that was my father-in-laws 64 convert.

And I'm hopin to get my wifes "thing" (easy guys, its a car :lol ) out of storage tomorrow :gasp

I also have a euro LHD 60 :DD

I'm going to try and get all the cars together this sunday for a group pic. before the 68 is put on the selling block :gasp

Guest redgtxdi

Here's something maybe you guys'll find funny............

The rear-window on that sucker was "liquid" tint. (remember that stuff?)

Done by a local tint shop........(still around today).

Rear quarters in the mag pics were still the original tint I put on 'em. Not a good job, not a horrible job. Flat glass so it was fairly easy except for the cutting.

I had the roll-up side tinted at one time, but for shows it actually worked better to keep the front 3 untinted.......

*****Back in the day folks were tinting windshields too********

.........plus the regulators for the one-piece windows eventually rubbed a spot in the film, so I tried twice & just said forget it.

Ahhhh the days. (Double-limo tinting, limo + medium, etc. etc.) Had a buddy w/ a '90 Prelude that you could not see in at all. Double-limo all the way around. Those days were insane!!!

:gasp

Archived