Howdy! Old-school tinter from waaaaay back.......

Guest redgtxdi

Guest redgtxdi

First, hi gang!!

Second...........wow how tinting has changed!

Third..............wow how it hasn't!

(Yes, an oxymoron for sure!) :spit

My history...............

First window I ever tinted was the rear quarters on my '63 VW Bug. This was back in.............errr............1987(?) Well.......long time ago.

I've probably tinted a total of like 20-25 cars in my whole life. I did get a commercial job ONCE. Did the bottom half of a Lamppost Pizza ('bout 20 windows). That was fun......(ahhh, flat glass!)

I've N-E-V-E-R used a heat gun............Eevvvvaaarrrrr!!!!

I'd kinda' like to shake the rust off & handle my current vehicles (both need retint) and possibly do some occasional tinting again.

Tinting can be the funnest thing and the most depressing thing in the same minute!! Wow.........what a mouthful!!! Did I just say that??

To me, there's nothing like squeegeeing (is that a word?) out a piece of nicely installed film. It's just a great feeling.

The tick of blades against glass.

The sound of a hard card against film/glass.

Cleaning that window before handing the keys over to somebody and admiring your work.

They're all good feelings. Equally awful.......

The sound of tint "crunching" (faaaaaauuuuu******kkk!!!)

The sound of hearing film peeled film fall to the ground

The sound of a hard card riding over debris under film

The sound of tint "crunching" (did I say that one yet?...LOL)

Need I say more??? (like scratching a chalkboard....LOL)

Anyway, I hope you guys will tolerate my questions here. I can reminisce with the oldest of you here, so shoot away if you wanna & I'll start posting in the other forums w/ my noob (oldie) questions.

:spit to the forum !

There's lots of reading for you on here ..just a case of using the search feature and putting in a little time since most basic questions have been asked numerous times, if you can't find something just ask ..participating in chats? Jump in at anytime :linedrink

Guest redgtxdi
welcome :linedrink

[*]329823

Thanks guys!!!

Ya, I've been reading on dry vs wet shrinking. Powder vs. soap vs. plexus vs. armpit sweat......(j/k).

I'd love to master the technique so that long gone are the days of literally spending an hour fighting fingers.

Anybody remember cutting seams vertically down the front area of the old Honda CRX windows??? My first dose of 'shrinking' was when I did my sister's CRX and even *with* a seam, one of the windows lifted, so unbeknownst to me, she had that window repaired at a tintshop. NO SEAM!!!

I was like..........WTF???? How'd they do that??? (Circa 1990)

From then on I knew things were changing.

I have some tool questions too, I'll post in that forum shortly!!! :spit

Archived