film color variances.........

Guest redgtxdi

Guest redgtxdi

So I notice this cheap crap I picked up at Pep Boys to do an emergency job.......(don't ask me the name, I don't remember).........has a reeeeally green tint to it.

Granted this is 20% and I'm looking at it right next to a 35% that's gone pretty dang purple, but I can't recall seein' so much green before.

Anybody noticed variances between films &.........(most importantly for this thread)...................got a favorite???????????

Example:

Llumar regular = greyish

Llumar metalized = greenish

Llumar sputtered = brownish

(Above are fictitious examples.........I just went to the Llumar site & realized they have waaaaaay too many films these days for their own good).

:lol6

Yes, you will find many different variations in color between film brands. You will also find different colors in lines of film from the same manufacturer, and sometimes slight differences in color on one roll of film.

In the '80s, film manufacturers suggested that you use the same piece of film from a roll to do multiple-pieced BGs, as opposed to doing the bottom strip in one piece, and an upper strip with a completely new piece. Manufacturers were afraid that the difference, even from the same roll, would be extreme enough that the customer would notice. I think the quality of films has come a long way since then, and this is not an issue when shrinking most BGs in one piece.

Guest redgtxdi

Now, I'd typically just buy from the local tint shop I bought from 15 years ago, but since things have changed, is there a *****most common****** type used today??

I.e. just *metalized* or *premium metalized* or *sputtered*, *premium sputtered*.....(you get the gist).

I just can't believe all the difference versions they have.

When I had my Camry tinted 5 years ago......(yes, I had somebody do it, the car was too new)...........it was suggested *premium* for 5 years worth and *metalized* for 7 or 8 years.....BUT......(IIRC)........they warned that the metalized look too silvery from the outside so it's not chosen very often.

?????? (P.S. Thanks Exact-oh, you're always quick & polite w/ your answers & it doesn't go unnoticed!!) :lol6

Guest unsivilized

Allot of film manufacturers put a stock # on the inside of the roll so you can tell who made the film and when it was made so when you do multiple pieces like Exact-Oh said

I tinted my car with wal-mart garbage, the rear window came out in 2 pieces Black bottom and top had a bluish reflective........ needless to say I took it off and replaced with one piece lumar

Guest redgtxdi

I'm gonna start buying my tint from WalMart........ :lol6

Actually, I shouldn't laugh........I think it's the same stuff I put on last night that I had picked up at Pep Boys.......(again, can't remember the name, but *green* for sure!).

The tint shop I like to buy from is too far for me to make it any day but Saturday. I really need to find somebody closer!! (He's also now 3M & I dunno about 3M stuff. Prolly rather use Llumar again).

You are very welcome for the info... when it comes to most frequently used manufacturer info... yes, there are a few 'most used' brands of film out there. I don't think that you will get any quality brand film from a consumer perspective.

All of the higher quality manufacturers that I have experience dealing with will only deal with higher volume professional installers. I do not know from personal experience, but I have heard that you may acquire good quality films on ebay. Just check out some of the brands and styles of film suggested here on TD, and see if they are available there.

Guest redgtxdi

Well, being that I'm in So Cal, I definitely have a plethra of suppliers to choose from, I was just kinda' bitchin' to myself. I just know that I trust this guy & the last piece of film I bought from him............(about 5' of 20%).........to do a Toyota pickup back glass, he still only charged me $2/ft. (Same price I paid on tint from him 15 years ago.....LOL).

It was 3M.

I honestly wish I tinted enough to get a *feel* for the different films. It'd be nice to know the diff, for sure!

For now, I'll just keep an eye out for somebody closer to home & see if they'll sell it to me.

Guest unsivilized

Even brand wise allot of companies sell low mid and high grade films, I usually prefer to get HPC or anything that says HP on it, no matter the company, ive used madico, tint from a company called CnC Distibutors out of florida, and of course I still use Lumar

Archived