Heres a question for the pros regarding Layering..

Guest EcL1pZ

you want my reply....fine.

In your experience, the lowest you should go on the back glass, (since its stock 70%), is probably just putting 20% on right?

no you're not right. on my van and truck I have the rear windows in 5%. I like the film dark and can see fine. 20% isn't dark enough for me on the rear of my vehicles. my car though, the law is 32% so that's what I have. since you can't have anything on the fronts by law then don't put anything on the fronts.

you don't like your law then move.....but don't come here asking for my opinion on your illlegal tintjob. you won't like what I have to say. most don't. like many others who've come here. they'll hear what they don't want to hear and then leave.

bye bye now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for input.. but as I recall, any % was allowed on the rear window in NY state. Thats why I asked.

Blade I understand your position, and I respect that, but I never went against anyones opinions here. I already said I was going to remove it based one everyones opinion. I was still asking about the back glass because NY state law allows any % on the rear glass window (assuming you have 2 outside mirrors).

Thanks again for everyones input.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

go legal.keep our craft alive.if I recall correctly,in the early 80's , window tinting altogether nearly became outlawed . I may be wrong about this,but,if people continue to abuse the tint laws,we may lose our way of making a living.

Ok, so this thread has left me wondering how so many people wander this world with such cluelessness and inability to "get it". I think this board totally takes the cake, in my experience on the internet, for newb ignorance. I guess maybe tint attracts a certain type of client that continously makes it difficult for the pros here to educate them. Heck, it attracted the likes of me! :lol:lol What a pain. :lol2

But ok, I also have a bit of dumb azz question that is somewhat related. It turns out that I would like to go darker on my back three windows, recently done with Llu Stealth 38%. I really like the "look" of the film with its hint of reflectiveness, but not too eye catching :lol2 or anything. What if I were to go with another layer of the Stealth 38% or a layer of Llumar 35% or 20% dyed. How much of a difference in light transmittance would I get, and would the other films (non-Stealth) change the desired effect and outward appearance of the current film? :lol

Thanks in advance! :lol2

-Rick

okay...if you've got 38 now and put another layer of 38 you'll have a VLT of about 14.  38 + 35 = 13.  38 + 20 = 8.

The outer appearance overall should stay about the same but with a darker look on the rears.

[*]334139

Thanks Blade, just wasn't sure about "the look" of putting a different film other than the Stealth on there. I have had my film layered once before with success, but it was the exact same film, just darker. In this case, since I don't have another shade in the Stealth line to put on instead of the 38 I am apt to layer again...thanks again for the clarification. :DD

Guest thetintshop
  on my van and truck I have the rear windows in 5%.  I like the film dark and can see fine.  20% isn't dark enough for me on the rear of my vehicles. 

[*]334073

same here. I have 5% on the back glass of my car and I see out perfectly fine, day or night.

the REAL reason why you see alot of tinters talk you out of 5% is one simple reason---5% generally costs a little more than 20%. and we all know how most tinters don't like to spend money on a product they use to make money.

I charge the same for 5% and 15%

the REAL reason I don't want to sell 5%

..................is because it looks GHETTO

the same reason I don't want to sell mirror, or fader

but I still stock it for the folks that like .........................GHETTO

Archived