Heres a question for the pros regarding Layering..

Guest EcL1pZ

Hey

Just found this forum, pretty damn cool. Just had a question. Lets say you have 70% glass all around the vehicle. You put 20% all around. Obviously the rear windows will appear darker because of the less light entering the vehicle from the back but it is pretty much the same all around. Ok, next, layering another 20% on the rear windows brings it to AROUND 5%.. which I believe to be correct. Then layering a 35% over the front 20% brings it around 10%? or so?

I am sure I will be corrected for my first paragraph, but where I am going with this is... I noticed its much harder to see than usual at night (I know its still a fresh layer, but still).. Would putting a single 5% layer on the rear window offer better clarity for night driving vs. layered 20s? Even though the layered 20s might NOT be as dark as the 5%.. the whole idea of 2 of them there.. is that what is making the driving worse at night? (I figure I would leave the rear windows layered since it doesn't matter, but as of now, my front windows reflect my interior lights right where my rearview mirror is, and its just REAL dark. Hell, If I forget to turn off the auto dimming mirrors ... yeah you can imagine..

Thanks for any input.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well lemme reply to everyone..

Tintyoda: Blackout? what did you mean by that?

Mountainman: Yeah I understand that much, but I mean 5% alone.. is that worse than 2 layers of 20%? Like because its 2 sheets, it just intensifies the whole effect of losing visiblity? Or either way, it would be the same..

Blade: THat is why I came to this forum, to seek pro help regarding the situation. It understand it is a problem, and I want to correct it. I am not just going to drive and be like whatever, and deal with it .. no, I know its a danger, and thats why I brought it up. I won't get nailed for it.. but I understand the danger of it.

Tint: Yeah 20% in the backs were fine, but it was my fronts that was just too light for me.. and I wanted to take it a step further and I went a little too far. Instead of having the guy rip off everything, I just wanted to see if I can modify the Rear glass, and then my front windows.. that why I ask if 5% alone will be just as messed up for vision as 2 layers of 20%?

It would be nice if I can just change back glass, and not have to redo EVERYTHING since the rear windows are fine with 20x2.

If the best suggestion, is that, regardless 5% or 20% x 2 will give me the same effect.. then I will have to remove the double layers and put something else.. What bout double 35%s? That leaves me around 10-15%?

Archived