where to go for tint?

Guest ttoenni2

Guest ttoenni2

I was planning on tinting my girlfriends car (probably a mistake ) and im a newbie. Its a mazda 3, so I don't think ill have any problems. Anyways, I was wondering where I can find Solar Gard tint, as you guys seem to recommend it. I called a tint shop that carried it, but the wouldn't sell it to me. im probably going with 5%. She is worried about getting pulled over, but I have'nt been pulled over for 3 years with my tint and loud exhaust. Besides, I don't think they would give her a ticket right away. Im guessing I should do the back in one peice because its basically flat. If I cant get Solar Gard, where can I find a good brand to buy on the internet or by phone? Will any of you guys sell me some? help me! If I do a good job on hers, I will probably be doing my friends focus hatch too. and maybe a dodge intrepid, talon.... xmas break is near and I need money for college...

THank you for your time,

TOBIAS

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:zzz I don't even know where to begin on commenting on this post :lol:lol

I'll start with your first sentence and let the others guide you through a sentence at a time :

"I was planning on tinting my girlfriends car (probably a mistake ) and im a newbie."

Yes it is a mistake. If you want her to remain your girlfriend,,take it to a pro . If you want her to become your EX -girlfriend as your christmas present..then go ahead and "learn" on her car :gasp

Guest ttoenni2

oh yeah, forgot to ask, do I need a heat gun? if so what should I look for? I will probably do the back window of the mazda 3 in one peice, as it is mostly flat, but ill probably have to do the focus hatch in peices if I don't get a gun to shrink it... I don't know. Like I said, im new at this so I don't know how difficult it will be. I have done lots of work on cars , but mostly in the engine compartment.

Guest ttoenni2

Mistake? maybe, but I really have to do it because I don't have enough money to get it done professionally. I have taken apart many a car door, so that wont be a problem. I think I can figure it out... I hope...

Is her Mazda 3 a hatchback style or sedan style? Either way ..if your attempting in 1 peice ..you'll need a heat gun to burn..I mean to shrink the film with :gasp

Guest ttoenni2

its a sedan. the back window is small and flat, but I probably will need a heat gun. do you know where I can get the tint? heat gun? I have confidence in myself, but it might be misplaced... and I have help too

Mistake? maybe, but I really have to do it because I don't have enough money to get it done professionally.

[*]347883

..and there's no shame in not having enough money for the tint job ..but personally , If I were in college and money was tight ..I'd do 1 of 3 things in this order :

1. save your $$$ until you can afford to get it done once and done right.

2. don't do it period if the $$ will never be there

3. if you MUST do ityourself..at least practice on others older cars first and learn a few things B4 attempting the girfriends new car.

Guest signjoe

Are you going to put the tint on the inside or outside of the glass????

:gasp:zzz

Just get a pro to do it....it's not an easy thing to do and if you drive at night forget the 5%!

Merry Christmas.

Joe

Guest ttoenni2

I thought about practicing on my 99 z24 cavy... the pass. side film is scratched and the back has a sticker faded into it. I was worried about not being able to save my defroster lines... and I could do my friend's car first, but I actually think that my girlfriend would be more understanding if I screwed it up. If I can't do it, Ill have enough money AFTER xmas to get it done right. Im a quick learner when it comes to this kind of stuff. This website helps alot too! :gasp

Archived