Funny D.A. customer story

Local body shop brings me the typical one-window job on the R.F. Rolldown on a Tahoe to do. They just ask me to match the left side as much as I can. I notice the film on the driver's side is starting to purple a bit, so it must have been on there awhile, and I know I didn't do it.

I match the darkness of the opposite side as best I can, and tint the right side nicely for the guy.

A couple of days later, the bodyshop calls me and says the guy is unhappy, 'cause the film doesn't match perfectly. I tell him that I can't match semi-purple film, and I thought the darkness matched pretty well. I told him to wait until it dried fully, hoping the guy would just get over it. It's not like it's a nice, new truck or anything.

I stopped at the bodyshop yesterday to take one of our vehicles there for work. The manager at the bs shows me all these numbers that the customer has written down, claiming that the numbers on my film don't match the numbers on the other window. Uh, I said, my film doesn't have numbers on it! This guy is looking at the numbers etched into the glass!

We laughed a bit, and I told the manager that he would have to have the driver's side re-done also if he was that intent on them matching perfectly.

It's just funnier than hell, that this guy thought he was getting the best of us with these numbers, thinking he knew what he was talking about. It takes all kinds!

whenever I get a car or truck like that, matching tint, I tell them beforehand, taht I would try my best to match the older or existing film. that way there is no problems later on, because if you do the window and then wait until they complain, then you are in a bit of a hole in a very simple easy matter. :thumb

I really don't mind working with the bodyshops. On this last install, I traded the shop the tint job on one window for an install of new door pins on one of our shop trucks. I know we could install those pins ourselves, but it would take us three times longer than them, since they have the equipment and such to hold the door and install it straight.

This also shortens the sales end of the job, and this is the first time I have ever gotten a complaint when tinting for a bodyshop.

No, I am not talking about security etching... He was just looking at the glass code that's on all auto windows. The only reason that they differ between the two sides on his truck, is that he just had the right one (the one I tinted) installed due to a breakage. That style and size of window was in so many years and models, I imagine the body shop didn't get the exact year, make, and model window as his truck, therefore the numbers on the glass were a bit different.

Unless I know the brand of film used on it , I let them know right before I start the job that it may not match perfectly with what they have on the other window. I tell them you may want to change the othe rone while your at it so they can both match up , 95% that works for me :wall

Archived