bubbles?

Guest shanahd

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VOLTRON

I know, hell I am an amature in some aspects for alot of you have many years under your belt comapered to me. I have tinted with people that only use a guide and I have tinted with people that say using a guide is like having training wheels on yer bike. I have seen the work of some people that use a 5 way and it looks like shyst and have seen the person that says a 5 way is like training wheels and it looked like a train wreck. Like you said blade everyone has a different method. To each is own.

I was just giving climber a hard time, I like messin with those old peeps. :thumb

Guest VOLTRON

there are times when I do freehand when daylight will be an issue on darker installed films and there really isnt a gasket to trim so the gap of the 5 way will be very apperent, but for anything else I use the 5 way.

I have a pizza cutter that I use when installing safty film with frame attachments to crease the film so it can be overlapped onto the frame but the corners a sharp and would tear the film. Have been thinking of filing and rounding the corners of it and using it as a guide, it is thinner then the 5 way and its metal too.

Free Hand is where the art of the trade comes in -imo. :uh

[*]353487

Precisely... (pardon the pun) :uh

I had to learn to use a five way so I could teach the technique... otherwise I've freehanded from day one.

This is only my 2nd flat glass job..... we have tinted some of the windows and have gone

back the next day and there are lots areas where there are water bubbles that can be

pushed out... I fear if I wait too long then they will really bubble and ruin the window.

this is a restaurant that has been in business a few months so we have cleaned the

windows with ammonia to get off the grease residue and then scraped, cleaned with

soap and water to make sure the ammonia was gone....

anyone have any clue what could be going on .... as of now its not a big prob.  but what

if I wasnt going there everyday to push out the bubbles???

[*]352825

Practice makes perfect. Have been at it for 8 yrs and have never had a water problem when finished. Just work it repeatedly (blue max/wood the towel over a 5way) and you should reduce the problem. Good Luck

Guest sunbuster
there are times when I do freehand when daylight will be an issue on darker installed films and there really isnt a gasket to trim so the gap of the 5 way will be very apperent, but for anything else I use the 5 way.

I have a pizza cutter that I use when installing safty film with frame attachments to crease the film so it can be overlapped onto the frame but the corners a sharp and would tear the film. Have been thinking of filing and rounding the corners of it and using it as a guide, it is thinner then the 5 way and its metal too.

[*]353534

I started free hand, and have done it for years. I now use both methods, it all depends on the type of frame, gaskets etc. Anytime I am in new construction with alot of drywall dust, the 5 way makes a much cleaner end result. Screw the IWFA's 2 inches of contamination from the side and 6" inches from the top. Anyone still judging their work by these guidlines needs to step it up a notch and exceed this. Most of it is in the prep.

VO it sopunds like you are on the right path. Keep it up.

Archived