Sample given to customer - data sheet or tint?

I gave someone an est. two years ago... they called last week and are ready to go. :dunno

They still aren't sure on what film to use... They like their neighbors, which is very light, but they want something to reduce glare - but are afraid the next tint darker will be too dark.

So I'm going to go out and hang a piece on one window for them...

I did that last week for another customer... err.. hope-to-be customer. I bring my portfolio, which I have a picture of a bay window with the center panel *not* tinted, so they have an idea of what tinted windows look like... and I use the sample data sheets from the film co, but sometimes people still aren't sure.

The shop I used to work for almost never hung a test piece, mainly because their sales person did just that - sell. Never tinted before.

One time I did a house and after I was done they were like "Oh, I didn't think it would look like that" and were not happy.

Now that I'm on my own, I would really, really h@te for that to happen, so I make sure I have what I need in case the potential customer wants to see what it actually will look like installed.

Does anyone else do this?? I'm just a small outfit... so it's not a big deal to me - although I h@te to drive so that aspect of it I don't care for.... but I'm not exactly jam packed with jobs every hour of the week that I can't spend another 15 min to hang a window for someone... especially if it lands the job. :)

RoAcH

Guest windoworx

I always ask the customer to take a look after hanging the first piece. I would rather tare it off then and pack up my stuff than hang 300 ft and get the proverbial "oh". On occasion I have hung a test piece.

Guest walestint

I will hang a sample for them so they can see it in the sun, even leave it there for a few days no obligation, if they are 'tyre kickers' and dont seem keen then maybe not, but 8/10 people have called because they really want the tint and will book it in

had one last yr where I hung about 5 different samples for them, they were dead keen

they never called back to get job done and must have had 5 odd shaped samples in there room to scrape off!

:evileye

Get some file folders and cut 8 x 11 sheets and stick in your brief case. I usually use the scraps left over after a job. I keep 20 different samples in my case with the spec cards.

I prefer not to adhere the sample to the glass. But if the customer wants it, they get it.

How in the world do you sell with your samples on your car?

Ma'am, lets go out to my car and let me show you how your windows will look on your house We can sit in the back sseat for the best view. :dunno

Guest Readyman

If it's a decent size job (200 sq. ft. +) we will install a sample at no charge.

If it's not we will charge, usually only $30-$50 that they can deduct from the job total once they have made up their mind.

Most people are reasonable about the cost, and it helps to push them closer to going ahead with it since they have already paid out some money.

Archived