Best Tint to Keep Cool in Home

Guest SteveLD

Guest vclimber
Yeah, I was missing part of vclimber's point about 44% of energy being within visible spectrum. Toss the BTU meter. The question that interests me is how much of that 44% is converted to heat.

Still I can't accept that TSER is the right spec to compare films if your interest is keeping your home cool since 100% of solar energy that crosses my window sill cannot be converted to heat.

Excited molecules release electromagnetic radiation (e.g., visible light, infrared light, x-rays, microwaves, or radio waves). This release of energy slows their vibration and helps them shed heat.

Conversely, when a molecule absorbs electromagnetic radiation, it becomes more excited and vibrates faster. It's easy to see that by using this mechanism objects can transfer heat between each other without even touching. This mechanism is called "radiative heat transfer". Objects transfer heat between each other through electromagnetic radiation.

Electromagnetic radiation includes visible light. We often see hot objects giving off electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum. The wavelength of light emitted depends on the substance and how vigorously it is heated.

For Example, think about those new microwave oven that can do "quick cooking". Notice when you choose this option that the oven uses "visible light" to heat as well as micro waves.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottym

Yeah, I was missing part of vclimber's point about 44% of energy being within visible spectrum. Toss the BTU meter. The question that interests me is how much of that 44% is converted to heat.

Still I can't accept that TSER is the right spec to compare films if your interest is keeping your home cool since 100% of solar energy that crosses my window sill cannot be converted to heat.

Excited molecules release electromagnetic radiation (e.g., visible light, infrared light, x-rays, microwaves, or radio waves). This release of energy slows their vibration and helps them shed heat.

Conversely, when a molecule absorbs electromagnetic radiation, it becomes more excited and vibrates faster. It's easy to see that by using this mechanism objects can transfer heat between each other without even touching. This mechanism is called "radiative heat transfer". Objects transfer heat between each other through electromagnetic radiation.

Electromagnetic radiation includes visible light. We often see hot objects giving off electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum. The wavelength of light emitted depends on the substance and how vigorously it is heated.

For Example, think about those new microwave oven that can do "quick cooking". Notice when you choose this option that the oven uses "visible light" to heat as well as micro waves.

I have two rooms that are problematic. The low price metallized films I've looked at would make the room way too dark. I think my only alternative for these two rooms are to look at the high tech films. Maybe a Huper 'cause I can't afford vkool and do the other rooms in lower priced film that has a similar tint with lower performance. Spend my money where it's needed.

Guest vclimber

Then based on what you have said you need to take your equation and find a film with the best solar heat reduction that will also be visually appealing and not too dark or reflective.

I would go to each mfg's site and pull the film that has the performance #'s you want. Then request samples and put them on your window and see which one hits the mark visually. Then get some estimates.

Guest cactustint
The question that interests me is how much of that 44% is converted to heat.

answer is 44% turns to heat

yes it can

heat comes from

uv light, ir light, visble light

Archived