Old Cars

If you decide to remove the glass, there is also another option. They make a black glass primer that comes with a sponge applicator attached to the end of it, kinda like a shoe polish applicator. You can apply a black border around the perimater of the window and make it look like all of the new vehicles. All you have to do is tape off the edges of the glass to the width you want. It should permanently bond, so if you have problems with the "gila "later on, you can remove the film and reinstall on a black border with no light gaps. We started doing this here on a few custom hot rods, and now its all we do because everyone likes the new look, and as was said, butyl tape is cheap, and if you are restoring this car, it may be a good idea to remove the chrome and check for any rust, clean and prime to prevent it from spreading. Hope this helps.

Just thought I should give this a shot at tip of the week. :finger:

This post has been promoted to an article

Which is the best place to get this stuff with the applicator?

How long is the realistic lifespan of it?

Do it go on the inside or outside of the glass?

We buy ours from our auto glass supplier, PPG. The stuff is called Betaprime Urethane Primers, 5500 sa 1-Step Glass/Frit Primer. It is made by Dow Automotive. You could try CR lawrence for a similar product, or Somaca. There are most likely several companies out there.

It should be a permanent bond, but tint is suppose to last a lifetime as well. :finger:

We have a few old hot rods around, and one that has been done about three years ago, and still looks great.

You could also use this stuff for those dot matrix problems, it dries, after being applied to the inside of the glass, almost the same color as the factory matrix. I haven't done this, yet, because the glue right now works great when I need it.

crlaurence

We buy ours from our auto glass supplier, PPG. The stuff is called Betaprime Urethane Primers, 5500 sa 1-Step Glass/Frit Primer. It is made by Dow Automotive. You could try CR lawrence for a similar product, or Somaca. There are most likely several companies out there.

It should be a permanent bond, but tint is suppose to last a lifetime as well. :finger:

We have a few old hot rods around, and one that has been done about three years ago, and still looks great.

You could also use this stuff for those dot matrix problems, it dries, after being applied to the inside of the glass, almost the same color as the factory matrix. I haven't done this, yet, because the glue right now works great when I need it.

crlaurence

I think Tintdetective uses this stuff for dot matrix! :finger: Just dont get it on you!!!!

It should be a permanent bond, but tint is suppose to last a lifetime as well. :bingo

crlaurence

I think Tintdetective uses this stuff for dot matrix! :lol2 Just dont get it on you!!!!

It works great for frit lines and matrix's, I have found some other uses as well.

I get mine from Crlaurence also...

Good tip; making the border that way.. :lol2

excellent tip. :lol2 I've used this primer several times (since I share a building with a glass shop). just don't get it on anything except the window. :bingo the nice thing too is that the foam tip can be cut to any size and angle. :lol2

it can also be used to fix cut or damaged frit borders. it's a perfect match IMO....

Archived