full or frontal

Guest brett

Guest brett

looking for some info guys, we do ppf film and cover the vehicles from front to back and sometimes even the roof tops as well. ie we do full doors ,fenders bumpers ,a,b and c pillars etc . is there anyone else doing this or is everyone else just doing front areas . Also looking for some specific info as to the type of film we use but can see thats an issue so if there is anyone who can discuss this privately let me know. we have been in the ppf business for 5 years now and consider ouselves as professional installers. . see www.vpsprotection.co.za

Guest Tint'n Todd

Brett,

Here in Colorado about ten years ago we started doing paint protection and we mostly do front ends but we have done ewvrything and my 2005 Ford F-150 is covered from head to toe. I get a few jobs like that but for most people they don't want to pay $2500-$3000 for what I would charge them to do a job like that. I did do the owner of Centrex Financials Porsche GT-2 and that was a big job to do. I've seen and worked with just about every material out there but only stick to 3M just because I know it holds up over time and my truck sells a job very easy when I show them. I would love to chat more if you want and let me know.

Tint'n Todd

Guest brett
Brett,

Here in Colorado about ten years ago we started doing paint protection and we mostly do front ends but we have done ewvrything and my 2005 Ford F-150 is covered from head to toe. I get a few jobs like that but for most people they don't want to pay $2500-$3000 for what I would charge them to do a job like that. I did do the owner of Centrex Financials Porsche GT-2 and that was a big job to do. I've seen and worked with just about every material out there but only stick to 3M just because I know it holds up over time and my truck sells a job very easy when I show them. I would love to chat more if you want and let me know.

Tint'n Todd

Its good to know. About 30% of the vehicles we do are full cars. We also stick to 3m material as its highly reliable in our climate and humidity.From looking at the forums I notice most of the chaps are going with precut kits but we just template all the models we do, its a bit more time consuming {only the first time} but it allows us to wrap everypanel over instead of ending short as well as doing bumpers etc in one piece. The product code of the material you are using would be greatly appreciated as there seems to have been a few changes over the last while and I would like to know which is the most current.

I mostly do just the front areas. hood- fenders 12'' 18'' 24'' depending on the ride.

mirrors, a- pillers and bumper. we have done a couple of full vehicle wraps, new ford GT and a lambo.

Alot of people would wrap thier whole car if it wernt so expensive. a majority of people go with just the hood and fender package....cover the painted metal only

I love doin RV's cause there flat and I can charge real good money.

I use 3M. :DD

:lol2

Guest brett
I mostly do just the front areas. hood- fenders 12'' 18'' 24'' depending on the ride.

mirrors, a- pillers and bumper. we have done a couple of full vehicle wraps, new ford GT and a lambo.

Alot of people would wrap thier whole car if it wernt so expensive. a majority of people go with just the hood and fender package....cover the painted metal only

I love doin RV's cause there flat and I can charge real good money.

I use 3M. :DD

:lol2

I love the rv's too, especially the landrover defenders, we do a full wrap, front and sides in about 3 hours so its good money. The cost of vehicles here is so high that a lot of our clients want full wraps. A full wrap works out to about R10500-00 which equates to about [s2000 US]. The average cost of a small vehicle is R100 000-00 {vw polo hyundai getz etc } quite a few of my clients ask about fitment centers abroad for family etc so its good to know you guys are out there. It has taken a lot of work getting the dealers to punt us and getting the OEM approvals but most see 3M and say no problem.

Guest Tint'n Todd

Brett,

My current 3M lot # is 108634-3 dated 7/10/06. Not sure if that is what you wanted. I'm good personal friends with my distributor and he id only a few miles away so I can pick up fim just about anytime and get the status of what is going on and if any problems arise. 3M revised thier film just before SEMA in Nov. and there were some adhesive problems because the rolls were rolled too tight and that was causing some issues. Since then everything has been good but we have dropped our mixture to 25% alcohol vs. 50% about a year before. Most of the time I can lay just about everything down with soap and just tack the edges. I freehand cut everything because that is how I learned years ago before kits were out and I have even removed pieces on my truck to show customers that we don't mark the paint. Colorado is a funny market and most people who install free hand and it's not a big deal because all of the good installers have been doing it for years and they can score the material without cutting through. When I went to SEMA last year I found that newer markets focused on kits due to lack of experience and to sell the product. All is good in my mind and if you are a good kit installer then more power to you. What I don't like about kits are the fit, time involved = Money$$$, and charge for a plotter or cut fee. Colorado is an establisehed market and new markets around the country are different so I'm not going to knock what others are doing to make a dollar!

Tint'n Todd

Brett,

My current 3M lot # is 108634-3 dated 7/10/06. Not sure if that is what you wanted. I'm good personal friends with my distributor and he id only a few miles away so I can pick up fim just about anytime and get the status of what is going on and if any problems arise. 3M revised thier film just before SEMA in Nov. and there were some adhesive problems because the rolls were rolled too tight and that was causing some issues. Since then everything has been good but we have dropped our mixture to 25% alcohol vs. 50% about a year before. Most of the time I can lay just about everything down with soap and just tack the edges. I freehand cut everything because that is how I learned years ago before kits were out and I have even removed pieces on my truck to show customers that we don't mark the paint. Colorado is a funny market and most people who install free hand and it's not a big deal because all of the good installers have been doing it for years and they can score the material without cutting through. When I went to SEMA last year I found that newer markets focused on kits due to lack of experience and to sell the product. All is good in my mind and if you are a good kit installer then more power to you. What I don't like about kits are the fit, time involved = Money$$$, and charge for a plotter or cut fee. Colorado is an establisehed market and new markets around the country are different so I'm not going to knock what others are doing to make a dollar!

We also hand trim due to experience and find this is the best fit and looks the best too. The isopropyl we use at max 30% mix , the warm climate alows us to use even a weaker mix in summer. Thanks for the lot no could you give me the product code ie 0612 or sgppf6 or sgh6 etc ... ? As for the rolls bieng too tightly wound this we found affects the last few meters of the 50m rolls by making the material rather dull or matt finish. once again thanks for the input....

Tint'n Todd

Guest Premier Protect

we have vehicles transported to us from different parts of the U.S. for extensive frontal to entire vehicle protection. It really comes down to the customer's vehicle and budget. Our full vehicle wrap closes into the $10k mark, but once done, very difficult to find the seams. Sometimes, we fool ourselves. :eyebrows

Archived