2005 Z06

pike_madcat

So the other day at work in rolls a brand new Z06...Its the first one I have ever got a chance to tint. Did the back window in one piece...Took about half the day...But thanks to the soap method I was able to do it...I dont think I could have other wise...Now the customer didnt pay for this little extra, but I went ahead and filed the edges of the front windows down so there was no light line...Am I weird or does anyone else do this on high end cars that have frameless windows? The windows turned out awesome..I was thinking about offering this as a new service to cars that have framless windows..anyways I am rambling on and was just curious if anyone else has heard of or does this?

Thanks,

Tinter Stuck out in the Panhandle of TX.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the shrinking figured out on the 4th try...Best piece of advice I got was to just walk way from a section if it stops wanting to shirnk...Allowing that area of the glass to cool down..Then once it had cooled it would shrink right out :DD....

I got the shrinking figured out on the 4th try...Best piece of advice I got was to just walk way from a section if it stops wanting to shirnk...Allowing that area of the glass to cool down..Then once it had cooled it would shrink right out :DD....

yeah, on the really curved ones you can shrink it, and when you think it won't shrink anymore, go to another part of the glass and come back later and what do you know, you can get it just a bit more.

I've seen one other corvette with filed down edges and I was curious what tinters used to file them down? My only worry would be peeling from the edges, but it looking very nice.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

after my 3rd try I resorted to a 2 piece hidden seam. I had gotten it on the 1st but I put a 1 1/2 inch crease on the side and it went down hill from there. My next 1 will be a 1 peec!

We just use a new file...Just a plane jane one that you would use on any general thing..Glass, metal, etc....You have to hold the file at a extremly sharp angle.. I let the tint overlap the edges all the way around about 1/8th of a inch...I go ahead adn heat the out side of the glass and make sure my edges completly sealed and then allow it to dry for a hour or two...Now the file only works in one direction...As you start to file the edge the tint will begin to roll off the edges...Its hard to describe exactly what it looks like...but my boss has a old 60s mustang that he filed years ago and there are no signs of peeling as of yet...

We just use a new file...Just a plane jane one that you would use on any general thing..Glass, metal, etc....You have to hold the file at a extremly sharp angle.. I let the tint overlap the edges all the way around about 1/8th of a inch...I go ahead adn heat the out side of the glass and make sure my edges completly sealed and then allow it to dry for a hour or two...Now the file only works in one direction...As you start to file the edge the tint will begin to roll off the edges...Its hard to describe exactly what it looks like...but my boss has a old 60s mustang that he filed years ago and there are no signs of peeling as of yet...

Sounds good, I may have to give it a try.

Guest tintcraftersca

I got the shrinking figured out on the 4th try...Best piece of advice I got was to just walk way from a section if it stops wanting to shirnk...Allowing that area of the glass to cool down..Then once it had cooled it would shrink right out :spit....

yeah, on the really curved ones you can shrink it, and when you think it won't shrink anymore, go to another part of the glass and come back later and what do you know, you can get it just a bit more.

I've seen one other corvette with filed down edges and I was curious what tinters used to file them down? My only worry would be peeling from the edges, but it looking very nice.

Tint // Man u knew seals were in alaska, thought u knew everything :spit

Archived