03 Accord---Some tint questions

Guest kentl901

Guest kentl901

Hey everybody,

I've been looking through the forum and everything here has taught me a great deal. Anyway, I still have some remaining questions that I'm hoping would be answered.

I have a 4-door 2003 Accord. To simplify this post, I'm going to list my questions.

1) Felt Issue- I believe my car doesn't need to have those felt install because when I touch the rubber seal/strip that touches the window on the bottom, it has a "felty" feel to it. Does this mean I don't need the felt installed? Am I looking at the right part or is this an internal thing, making this something I cannot identify without taking stuff apart?

2) The law- I live in NYC and know that VLT has to be at least 70% on all windows. I know that factory windows that are not tinted already block out some light (thus lowering VLT). Does anyone here know approx how much "baseline" tint is already present on factory windows? Secondly, to meet that 70% VLT requirement, what is the maximum "strength" tint I can put on? I don't think I've heard of any tints being higher that 60.

3) Location/Shops- Like I said, I'm from NYC...any suggestions where to get it done? Preferrably Queens, Brooklyn, or Manhattan. (I've also checked out the shop listings on the other forum section, but theres only 3.) I'm looking to explore my options.

Again, thanks for all your valuable information!

Have a great day!

Guest gus738

70%? god thats no visable tint lol that sucks well 70 % just blocks uv rays I belive it just helps so sun doesnt damge your skin and its a clear tint. As for the other questions I dont know

Guest kentl901

Hey Gus,

What about those tints on the rear that I see on minivans or SUVs that come out of the factory tinted? Approx how much tint are those?

I was thinking on putting on 50% all around. But does that literally mean I'll only be getting 50% VLT?

Guest gus738
Hey Gus,

What about those tints on the rear that I see on minivans or SUVs that come out of the factory tinted? Approx how much tint are those?

I was thinking on putting on 50% all around. But does that literally mean I'll only be getting 50% VLT?

factory tinted cars (and we talking about those with tint inbetween the layers of the glass)

are pre tinted with 35% or 20% (20 % being the darkest) and yes the % given number is how much VLT is being deliverd so when you say 50 all around your blocking 50 % of light coming in, also 50% on front winshiled is too dark bro go with the lightest visable tint and for fronts/ illegal too in most places, yet your the ultimate judgment if you want to tint everywhere and how much % u wanna doo to. I went with 5 on back (legal 100%) and 20 on front (illegal)

Guest kentl901

Sorry, when I say all around, I mean all windows, not including front windshield.

If cars have 35% on the rear, that means 65% light is going through. In NY, that would be considered illegal, right?

Also, I thought the higher the number/percentage, the lighter the tint, correct?

If I want 70% VLT, what tint would you suggest I get? I know it's never possible to be precise, but do shops carry meters to measure VLT?

Sorry for such newbie questions...

Thanks!

Guest gus738

its ok I was where you were as well uhh really 70% is not dark at all its a clear tint and yes the higher the number the lighter the tint gets

5% darkest ( means it only allows 5% to travel as light) 20% is light then 35% is lighter then 20% and the list goes on and these are the comon numbers,sometimes shops have 8% or 2% (extreamly dark) edit: 35% means your only allowing 35% of light traving inside and your blocking 65% not the other way around ....

Archived