Why are there Flame marks in my ceramic tint?

Guest dunnojack

Guest terrymooneyham44

I forgot - I asked the Mgr. how his tinters liked ceramic film & he said they loved it, and no flames.

We both have used Llumar Platinum over the years and know to watch for flames - and know what they look like right before we ripped the friggin' film off to start over.

He hasn't observed any in his shop with Llumar Formula One.

I would be using Axcess.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:DD Those look like quite a bit of big fingers for a side glass. I've never shrank that many fingers on a side window. what's up with that? must be super curved. I shrank a side glass for the first time yesterday in a couple of months. and probably didn't have to. just a precaution as to not fight them on the inside too long.

Guest Litespeeds

We have done many Lexus IS 250 and 350's and these newer models all have concaved glass on front and rear doors. We pull off the panel and still heat shrink the film for easier installation. The problem is all about the film. We use Huper Optik ceramic and have a special way to heat shrink it and sometimes it still leaves behind a slight bit of ghosting. We have to use lower heat and be very patient. The 50% and 30% shades seem to ghost but the 40% doesn't show any ghosting. Funny how the same company has a film and one of their shades don't ghost. From what I can gather, the more reflective the film, the more ghosting will appear.

I find it very time consuming to try and tint a rollup window on an IS350 without shrinking it. There is a high chance that you will crease the film or leave behind some marks if you dont' shrink the film first. I figure why fight the film and waste time. :thumb

Guest metro jim
it is called ghosting..and some ceramic film will do that if not properly shrunk..and that was not properly shrunk..and it will not go away in time...take it back and have them redo it.

Now I know why its called ghosting, because that thing was scary looking.......... :dunno

It sounds like Johnson has some bugs to work out. We install a lot of Huper and when I got some ghosting on a back glass I called them and asked how they recommend shrinking the back glass and they sent a video. I only have to use their technique on the more curved back glass's. But I wet shrink side doors with Huper and have no problems just have to be patient and move the fingers around. Don't put too much heat one finger and try to just shrink it out. We at one time carried MAC 3000 and it would always slightly ghost no matter how nice you were to it. The manufacturer said that it would dry out. Of course I didn't believe them and it never dried out on the few cars we did with it. Hence the reason why I don't carry it any more. Luckily I sold the rest of the roll on a small flat glass job (no shrinking needed). Also I have heard that Huper can cause loss of AM radio on Mercedes from a couple other shops, but I have never had the problem myself.

Guest dunnojack

hey. 8000+ views since I started this thread. very popular

and what's up with wetshrinking fingers?

snapping the tint would seem to work best on the curved lexus side glass.

even this "Ryk shrink" I found on youtube would seem to work well on curved side glass

Guest tintmanlibby
I got Johnson "top of the line" ceramic tint 7 days ago.

http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/IR.php

I got the tint at a very popular and reputable shop in So Cal.

I have flame marks coming from the bottom of the glass on all 4 doors.

40% in front, 30% in back.

So I don't think this is a film defect.

Why do I have these patterns?

tinthr8.jpg

I wouldnt go to a kia store to buy a benz :sign

but yea there is a different way to shrink it

Archived