Why are there Flame marks in my ceramic tint?

Guest dunnojack

Guest dunnojack

ok. Here's the problem, according to the tinter.

the Lexus window is biconcave- up/down, left to right.

and he says there's no way to shrink it without using heat, even with the powder method.

Don't all recent cars have a little concavity in the door glass in both vertical and horizontal directions?

Even my 1998 toyota has biconcave glass.

so how the f**k are they supposed to apply tint?

I've seen videos of door glass tint, and none of them used heat guns. :thumb:thumb:thumb

In the left>right direction, the glass isn't THAT curved. only slightly. Why do you need so many fingers?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest haroldshouseoftint

It can be done with heat, and not leave those marks where the fingers were, tell the tinter to contact Johnsons and have them explain to him how to do it. :thumb:thumb

and he says there's no way to shrink it without using heat, even with the powder method.

Don't all recent cars have a little concavity in the door glass in both vertical and horizontal directions?

I've seen videos of door glass tint, and none of them used heat guns. :thumb:thumb:thumb

In the left>right direction, the glass isn't THAT curved. only slightly. Why do you need so many fingers?

Yes it can be heat formed without being burned.

Almost all windows now have to be heat formed in one way or another, especially the back glass.

Picture it this way. When you roast coffee beans, you have to heat them almost to the point of burning the bean. If you go too far, you burn it, not enough and it is raw.

Hybred window films are tempermental like a coffee bean. Too much heat and you ghost, not enough and it lifts off the glass when applied.

I've seen videos of door glass tint, and none of them used heat guns. :dunno:dunno:dunno

They are blowing smoke up yo azz...I'm with willie-I hardly ever shrink side glasses. Vettes and bugs are about the only ones.

Guest Key West

I've seen videos of door glass tint, and none of them used heat guns. :dunno:dunno:dunno

Even with a slight concavity, most auto glass does not need shrinking. ("cept of course back glass's) Those that do don't usually require much. I shrink alot of cars that "COULD" be done without heat, but shrinking a finger sure beats fighting with it to stay down. 99% of the time, no issues. Only with ceramics have I seen this. I have seen a guy do a Stealth window without shrinking, but would never even try to do it without heat. Too much aggravation. (And a Stealth door takes ALOT of shrinking, top and bottom.) Again, I think that MFGRs should put a warning about known issues in the box, or at least inform dealers of a potential prob. I open a box of film, and generally expect my "normal" installation techniques to work. If I am aware that a film reacts differently to heat, then I sit and work within those parameters. But If not made aware of any potential issues, its business as usual for me. Then I find out the hard way. Sux.

I got Johnson "top of the line" ceramic tint 7 days ago.

http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/IR.php

I got the tint at a very popular and reputable shop in So Cal.

I have flame marks coming from the bottom of the glass on all 4 doors.

40% in front, 30% in back.

So I don't think this is a film defect.

Why do I have these patterns?

tinthr8.jpg

Seriously...who would let this leave their shop???

Guest dunnojack

yeah. my tint looks like $|-|17 in the sun.

I think the tinter used his regular methods to install the tint.

He usually uses the dyed tint.

He says the Johnson metallized tint and the ceramic tint will leave the ghost flames.

It sounds like this has more to do with installation technique, since anyone can also heat up Huper Optik and result in ghost flames/fingers on the side windows.

So you guys say the Lexus side windows can be done without heat? But people are too lazy to?

It's no different from a Camry's.....

Guest thatsnappyguy

I would use the soap or dryer method on the doors. dry shriink the doors. thats what I do to the caravans when I use es.

yeah. my tint looks like $|-|17 in the sun.

I think the tinter used his regular methods to install the tint.

He usually uses the dyed tint.

He says the Johnson metallized tint and the ceramic tint will leave the ghost flames.

It sounds like this has more to do with installation technique, since anyone can also heat up Huper Optik and result in ghost flames/fingers on the side windows.

So you guys say the Lexus side windows can be done without heat? But people are too lazy to?

It's no different from a Camry's.....

well....never done a lexus...but have done alot of camrys....and to the best of my recollection, ive never shrunk one. :dunno gotta go with willie on this one...its rare for me to shrink side glass....and as TDZ said...if I did....it wouldnt leave my shop lookin like that :dunno

Archived