Ever do work for friends?

I use to do my familys stuff for free, and they use to complain about the smallest of things, so I started charging them, and they quit complaining. :poke:lol

I have the idea that why tint there stuff for free, there are always other things you do for family for free that work out. If this is how you make your living, charge everyone, besides, if you tint your own car, it isnt free, that film has to be replaced :dunno

And dont tell anyone how much the film costs you, it isnt any of your friends business, is he asking all of the other contractors how much there stuff cost? Sounds to me like he is trying to take advantage of your friendship to save himself a buck. :krazy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he said something like that to me, I wouldn't even measure it, I'd go grab one of his beers from the fridge, sit down at the table with a phone book and look up the number of another shop for him.....

Say, "here ya go, shop away, but don't call me if they're too expensive for you, cause chances are so am I".....

Thanks for the beer, see ya... :krazy:

If he said something like that to me, I wouldn't even measure it, I'd go grab one of his beers from the fridge, sit down at the table with a phone book and look up the number of another shop for him.....

Say, "here ya go, shop away, but don't call me if they're too expensive for you, cause chances are so am I".....

Thanks for the beer, see ya... :lol:

:poke:krazy:dunno:poke:lol2

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Thanks for the beer, see ya... :lol:

:dunno Why don't you tell us how you'd handle this one :poke:poke:lol2:krazy Sounds about right to me, I hate doing stuff for buddies, friends.

Family, I don't know alot of my extended family, and most of my close family is dead, so mom,dad and sister don't pay for tint jobs, my sisters husband however he pays :lol2

Guest Marco
I think you did right. Just give him a good ol`buddy price and let him get some other quotes from other Tint shops.

If he is your best friend that one thing but if he is just a "buddy" your better off shooting him a decent price but nothing crazy. You have to eat also.

I have seen more than one case like this turning nasty and ending friendships, because one or the other thought they were getting screwed.

Make sure you get things IRONED OUT before you do any work for this person.

I was going to say the same thing and family gets it done for dinner

Guest pmuzik
I NEVER accept anyones first bid. If they want to work on my house they gotta be hungry for work. What would you do?

:krazy after he said that my reply would be :dunno

my friends and family ALWAYS pay....anybody can give the :dunno away.

friends and family get a decent price break.. :krazy ..and I always do the job as if it were my own.

That way there is no cry baby :poop going on..... :lol2

good luck bud

:beer

Good luck :krazy I get my friends always trying to bring me down. So what I do is say, "I charge $---.xx or $x.xx/sq foot normally, but since you're a friend I will charge you another price that I give. And since I usually get them to say, "can't you do any better?" I can always do better since I didnt tell them the original price that I wanted for it as a fam/friends discount.

Good luck!!!

Guest Key West
depends on how close of a friend it is. I've found that friends are usually the pickiest and whine about any little thing they can find. close friends and family...they get it free, I dont even bother charging for my cost....that way....if they wanna b!tch I can tell em "hey, ya get what ya pay for". :beer for friends that aren't the "free" closeness, I charge em full pop. Ive found the "deals" end up bitin ya in the azz. :dunno:krazy

My sentiments exactly!!! My CLOSEST friends and my IMMEDIATE family generally get things free. My only other friends are Hamilton, Franklin, and Grant. Never ONCE has any of them asked me for a deal, they just keep me in the black!!!

Give your "friend" an invoice that reflects the Real retail price. Tell him if he's getting 3 estimates, thats his price. If he wants your "Brother in law" deal, you do it at the discount, no other estimates. Sounds like he's gonna take your already low price and have people try and do better than that. CHEAP BASSTID!!! :lol2:poop

Archived