Bidding on the same job as a friend...

This was a first... a friend of mine tints... but mostly autos. Some flat... I've helped him on his jobs, he's helped me on mine. Very good business relationship, and at this point we're pretty good friends..

So I'm on my way home from my niece's house the other day and he calls asking how much I would bid on this job... he starts telling me about it, and I'm like - Is that for ABC Co?? I was due to put in a bid like an hour after him. (Commercial job)

I had already figured out how I was going to bid the job.... as long as everything was as they told me. But once we figured it was the same place we didn't really discuss prices. For residential jobs we bid about the same... which seems to be inline with other shops in our area. So I just told him that I would bid like normal, but I wouldn't try and lowball him or anything just to get the job. :beer

After I left, I thought about it and we should given them very similar prices... that way, they would pick the person who did the better job at SELLING themselves, and not based on prices.

Of course, too late now... but if it ever comes up again I might suggest that to him. I really would like to know how I do with selling myself. I know I've gone up against other companies and gotten the job, but I don't know for sure if it was price, presentation, etc.

It would have been really funny if I had shown up while he was there.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mhun9180
one of you bid higher and the other normal....then if you get it either way share it and make it a joint effort.....

:evilgrin I would quote a little higher and get your stories together so you both sell them on the same film, etc, etc. That way you can both split it together and get a little higher price to compensate for the joint profits. Oh, and two hands are better than one, so hopefully you'll save time on the install.

Guest Blitztint
:evilgrin I would quote a little higher and get your stories together so you both sell them on the same film, etc, etc. That way you can both split it together and get a little higher price to compensate for the joint profits. Oh, and two hands are better than one, so hopefully you'll save time on the install.

I disagree with one part of this and that is helping each other do the job. The guy goes for the best presentation dearer price and then you both turn up to do it. Then he starts thinkin he has been conned. Since he could have went with the cheaper quote and got the same job. Sounds messy.

Unless u send someone else to quote or do the job so as the custy won't see you.

I disagree with one part of this and that is helping each other do the job. The guy goes for the best presentation dearer price and then you both turn up to do it. Then he starts thinkin he has been conned. Since he could have went with the cheaper quote and got the same job. Sounds messy.

Unless u send someone else to quote or do the job so as the custy won't see you.

:evilgrin

True... that would be awkward.

This job was kindof small though, so it wouldn't really do well for two people to be on it. (IMO)

Now if it were huge, I would have ended up calling him for help anyway.

Bah.. he got the job. :(

Oh well.. I booked a job today which was about the same size but easier. (That was a R&R, this is new construction)

He said his price was about $200 more then me using a cheaper film...

Hmm..

Guest mhun9180
Bah.. he got the job. :(

Oh well.. I booked a job today which was about the same size but easier. (That was a R&R, this is new construction)

He said his price was about $200 more then me using a cheaper film...

Hmm..

That don't make sense. How'd he quote more, with a cheaper film and still get the job? Doesn't add up :gasp

Archived