What does film do for me in the Winter time???

Guest pmuzik
Alright now I am really going for stupid, but what does low E stand for??? I completely agree that the sun is lower in the winter and with the snow the glare is greatly increased, that is definitely a benefit to having film. I have never paid enough attention to see if the glass is actually warmer when tinted than an untinted glass, I will check that out. Anyone else??? Low Emissivity???

Low e explained :dunno

http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-53/iss-11/captions/p29box1.html

Here's a link explaining u value

http://www.irish-energy.ie/uploadedfiles/I...atisauvalue.pdf

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
I have never been that big into flat glass so I'm sure somebody is going to chime in here and correct me...and feel free to do so, but this is what I always thought and it makes sense to me....not that that is saying much :beer

Feel the inside of untinted glass in the winter....its cold. Feel the inside of tinted glass in the winter....its warm. So it's acting as an insulator to the glass. Seems to me, the coldest part of a room is around the window...hence the reason the registers are always placed under them, at least that is what I always figured. :beer So if you have added a warm insulation barrier to the coldest part of the room....hasnt the tint done its job? :dunno

When the glass is untinted, warm air will convect out the cold windows. Put film on the glass and let the sun hit it and heat that airspace and glass up. Now the convection is reduced thus the demand on the heating system will be reduced.

I always say it will absorbe the heat in the room and act like an insulator helping to keep the heat inside stay inside....not as good as it keeps heat out but it does help....also I tell them the amount here ion pa of heat gain in the winter is not that much this helpd on cloudy days and evening...so youwill loose some winter heat gain but not that much...also the sun is lower in the sky in the winter so it will be there to help uv fading all year....

Thanks that explains alot, I have a much better understanding now. I think that the winter U value is very important, to me it seems like tinting your windows is kind of like insulating your walls. When we insulate the walls in our homes we keep out the free heat from the sun, but in doing so we keep the heat where it belongs, in the house. All of the specs for my films have a lower u value than any of the windows listed on that chart so that tells me that we are not only keeping the sun out , but also keeping the heat in by tinting the windows. AWESOME!!!! Film is the SHiZZit!!! Correct me if I am wrong but I think I got my answer... :thumb

Heat retention is a selling factor in the northeast, and many sharpe clients with muliti figure utility bills are happy to hear 5% or 10%. Even more the word insulating sells. Years back in the 80's lulu marketed winter films . Now it's most likely E1220.

Guest mhun9180

MMM claim 30% better heat retention on one of the'r films, but I would doubt that figure. They probably measured it on a 45 degree angle or something :devilangel

Archived