Price of tint tickets in California (bay area)

Guest ponyrider

Guest ponyrider

I was wondering if anyone knows what the current price typically is for a tinting violation is in Northern/Bay Area California. I'm considering having some minor tinting done on the passenger/driver windows but I actually live right near a police station and I also work near a police station so I'm pretty confident it will only be a matter of time before I get pulled over.

I tried searching google and cant find much about the COST of these type of tickets. I've heard people say it's just a minor $10 fix it ticket and I've heard others say it can cost you hundreds of dollars. Also do these tickets appear on your insurance because my insurance is already through the roof.

Last but not least, how easy/quick/cheap is it to just go to a tint shop and have them remove the tint so you can go get a cop to sign off on the fix and then just return later in the day and have the tint put back on ?

Thanks in advance!

Guest ponyrider

haha I know the fine isn't THAT much.

But yeah I read the reasons to keep it legal thread after making this post and I've decided to just keep it legal. Having my ride look a LITTLE nicer isn't worth going through A LOT of the headaches that come with it.

Thanks all

Guest Litespeeds

As far as I know, most CHP's will give you a fix it ticket which in turn you have to remove the tint and get it signed off and pay a $10 processing fee. The cost to remove tint from 2 front doors can range anywhere from free to $75 depending upon the shop you go to. We charge $20 per rollup.

From what I can gather, different cities have different fines. The most typical is around $90-$100 but I have heard it goes up on your 2nd offense but I can not document that. Just what I was told by my customer's. Some will even have you go to court and then dismiss it as a fix it ticket with a fee.

The $1,000 ticket was rumored to be a fine for the tint shop that did the illegal tinting but I can not confirm that either. Hope this helps.

The law in California states that you can apply a film onto the 2 front doors as long as the film and glass combined allows a visible light transmittance of 70% or greater. Most factory glass is already around 80% VLT so basically only a clear film can be legally installed. However, if you have a medical reason, you can tint it as dark as 35% VLT but you are not suppose to drive the vehicle at night.

I've had 3 PPL come in this past week with tinted front doors. 2 of them had non correctable

tickets for $498 . and I thought I had seen it all then. But the one that came in on Friday. Blew me away..... Customer even showed me the Court slip non correctable

$940.

at first I thought WTF it's just a little tint..

Then I thought About time... Maybe it will open some of these PPL Eyes and realize IT's ILLEGAL

Now I did post this a while back. but Since then I've had 2 more come in with $289 tickets But most of the others have been Fixit's

Guest smiletinter

I've had two customers too, who got ticket instead of a repair order.

I found out that both of them had a smart mouth and cop issued them a ticket.

My cousin is a cop and he said once in a while, it happens.

Now we have to "educate" them not get a smarty and just admit that the tint is LITTLE darker than the limit. :gayfight

Guest WASHBOY

I have been pulled over three times for my tint being too dark, probably because its double limo...lol. Each time it was on the interstate and they just told me to get it fix, I was polite and acted like I never new that there was a law... No ticket and never did anything about!

This makes me laugh though because now I have a wrap on my back window and they do not say anything about even though I do work for cops and they do not say a word. The only one's out to get you are the ones who have nothing better to do.. maybe they should go bust someone who is doing a real crime in stead lets raise taxes so we can have more cops on the road busting people for stupid s$#% who are usally just work pay check to pay check! blah blah blah... I could rant

about this all day!

Archived