wet shrink vs. dry shrink

Guest clint4883

Guest clint4883

I just noticed from a recent post that most people dry shrink on all vehicles. I have tried it, and can do it but prefer the wet shrink method. I was just wondering if there is a benefit to dry shrinking on some cars? I was taught how to wet shrink everything and I haven't ran across a car that I can't get done by wet shrinking. I am wondering if I am making it harder on myself by wet shrinking instead of dry shrinking on some backglasses?

Guest thatsnappyguy
I just noticed from a recent post that most people dry shrink on all vehicles. I have tried it, and can do it but prefer the wet shrink method. I was just wondering if there is a benefit to dry shrinking on some cars? I was taught how to wet shrink everything and I haven't ran across a car that I can't get done by wet shrinking. I am wondering if I am making it harder on myself by wet shrinking instead of dry shrinking on some backglasses?

I find that some cars that have more of a curved glass, its faster to dry shrink it bc u can shrink bigger areas at a time. when I dry shrink, I basically divide the glass into 4 pieces like a cross. then heat each 1/4 at a time. some small glasses ex...malibu, ion, ect...are done quick as wet. I wouldnt say that you are making it harder on yourself doin it wet. up till a year ago when I started using global, I wet shrank 100% all back glass's. but thats not so easy with global. I can deff dry shrink any back glass with global than wet shrink the same back glass with any other film.

dude once you learn dry shrink you'll never turn back. I don't wet shrink anything except maybe some flat suv back glass that only pops a few fingers. I wet shrunk everything for the first year or so of learning the trade, after talking with danny desanto (FTI) about shrinking methods I began to dry shrink & never looked back. How do you wet shrink a 04 stratus 2dr :nono I think I'd be there for atleast 30 minutes as opposed to 5 minutes. :nono

Guest clint4883
dude once you learn dry shrink you'll never turn back. I don't wet shrink anything except maybe some flat suv back glass that only pops a few fingers. I wet shrunk everything for the first year or so of learning the trade, after talking with danny desanto (FTI) about shrinking methods I began to dry shrink & never looked back. How do you wet shrink a 04 stratus 2dr :nono I think I'd be there for atleast 30 minutes as opposed to 5 minutes. :nono

I know they are harder than the normal but really never thought about dry shrinking to make it easier. I guess I will have to give it another try. is that the standard way to divide it in 4 sections?

Guest thatsnappyguy

04 stratus and all the other bitch back windows. including the intrepids, vettes, bugs,ect...... ..all were dont wet. yea I took a lil longer, but it got done. thats all I knew back then. now that I do dry, I dont know if I could wet shrink a back glass anymore. its so damn easy and requires so less concentration and time. its just the smarter thing to do.

Guest clint4883
04 stratus and all the other bitch back windows. including the intrepids, vettes, bugs,ect...... ..all were dont wet. yea I took a lil longer, but it got done. thats all I knew back then. now that I do dry, I dont know if I could wet shrink a back glass anymore. its so damn easy and requires so less concentration and time. its just the smarter thing to do.

the few times I have done it I used dry sheets. I would like to give the soap a try. do you just take a bar of soap and rub down the back glass or do you add water? do you use a cross method on all the back glass?

wet shrinking puts more stress on smaller areas. Dry shrinking lets you shrink more area and puts less stress. Less puckers and places popping back up when dry. I also have found that the bit of water that is on the film will pull heat away from wherever there are drops.....makes the film get heated up uneven.....

Guest clint4883
wet shrinking puts more stress on smaller areas. Dry shrinking lets you shrink more area and puts less stress. Less puckers and places popping back up when dry. I also have found that the bit of water that is on the film will pull heat away from wherever there are drops.....makes the film get heated up uneven.....

yeah I can understand that were there is water its going to obsorb some of the heat. I just feel like is going to crese on me with the dry shrink

dryshrink method allows for great time savings it just shrinks so darn quick and flawlessly. Its really hard to screw things up with a good dryshrink on most normal flat back glass's.. they just shrink so smooth and quickly.

are you smoothing the film as you shrink it dry? You should be able to shrink it down with a dry shrink and not have to touch the film. You just have to see the film moving to know when it is laying down and move on.

I always "wet check" my film after the dry shrink, but it is just to hit those small little minute fingers that might have been missed.

Archived