wet shrink vs. dry shrink

Guest clint4883

Guest clint4883
are you smoothing the film as you shrink it dry? You should be able to shrink it down with a dry shrink and not have to touch the film. You just have to see the film moving to know when it is laying down and move on.

I always "wet check" my film after the dry shrink, but it is just to hit those small little minute fingers that might have been missed.

thanks I will have to give it a try. I was trying to smooth the film as I go like wet shrinking.

wet shrinking puts more stress on smaller areas. Dry shrinking lets you shrink more area and puts less stress. Less puckers and places popping back up when dry. I also have found that the bit of water that is on the film will pull heat away from wherever there are drops.....makes the film get heated up uneven.....

yeah I can understand that were there is water its going to obsorb some of the heat. I just feel like is going to crese on me with the dry shrink

definitely keep the gun moving, smooth it with your hand. When you get good use a hard card and slam it down as you shrink :nono

I did wet in my first year because that was the way I was taught. Once I tried dry I never looked back. It just came so naturally and so much faster. It use to take me an hour to wet shrink at first and once I did it dry it took me an average of 10-15 min. a back glass. Doing it dry is way better IMHO but there is still some back glass where wet is better ie camaro's

Archived