Not getting paid for sub work

Guest chriscoon

Guest Key West
Another F'dup thing is that his receptionist called a couple of weeks ago to try and get me to take another appointment, and I mentioned the not being paid thing. She said she came on about the same time as my first job with him, and she hasn't seen a dime at that point, either. Luckily I only I had a few hours tied up with this guy, she had a few weeks. Karma's a b?tch. Thanks for the offer KEYWEST, but I would lose more taking the time to do it. Especially, only for a couple hundred in materials. It sounds like OLFA should take you up on that offer though, sorry to hear that OLFA. It still baffles me why people do this crap. You would make so much more in the long run if you don't screw people over, it is amazing how many go for the home run on the first pitch. It's not how you win the game.

Do the math. Screw 10 installers (or as many as you can get away with) for lets say 20 cars, and you have around 50,000 by the prices I was quoted. Thats a chunk of change you now have, and are reasonably sure that those installers are just gonna roll over and take it. Yeah, it would cost way more to go back and fight, but what about the pride? IF I had known that I could have recouped 5 times my original claim plus related expenses/losses incurred in the process, I'd have sure as hell gone back on them. Live and learn.

The laws of Karma are fickle. If they hold true, then I must have been Atilla the Hun in my past life. Seems that those who REALLY get ahead do so at others expense, because most people will just bend over.

I can guarantee that it won't happen to me again!!! A signed contract outlining payment schedules, and the penalties of non-payment (your intent to follow thru with litigation), stops the statute of limitations. It sux to have to resort to that, but if they really intend to pay, there isn't a problem, if they don't want to sign..... :evileye

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest willie
Just wanted to put out a inquiry about a "company" I have been do sub work for. I am wondering if anyone else has been doing work for a guy named Steve, based out of Atlanta. He has put up websites in some of the major cities here in the states. Some of the sites are TintPhoenix.com, Tintlasvegas.com and a few others from what I understand. After doing 5, or so, cars for him over the last 2 months, I yet to receive a check for the services. The biggest deal is I supplied labor and materials for this guy. Has anyone else had any issues with this same company? I would like to know. And if you haven't done anything with this company, I would suggest against it highly.
Yeah, "Steve" worked me over for $8400 last summer for crew work in Colorado and Nevada. He paid airfair and hotel, just never paid the labor I was owed. I got the guy's GSA revoked, but unless I want to travel back to out of state sue him, he is "unreachable". He and many others are professionals at this kind of scam, so beware!

It's a part of the game, unfortunately. Back in '04, I subbed out some work for Hurricane Glass Sheild, (owned by our old 3M distributor, Who better to trust than your distributor?), all went well until time to get my final check. I waited and waited, and finally called them. Basically, I was told that I was beat. Then, in '06, I did some work for Mike Althiem at TintAmerica in Boynton, Fla. HE kept my final check also, due to "re-dos". They were using ArmorCoat, and claimed that the "Champagne Bubbles" were my fault. I did over 4 months work at both HGS and TA. Hell Altheim even went so far as to say that he had no record of me doing the work. I still have the work orders, and I'd bet that the custys would remember that I did the work.

Bottom line, you gotta get your money BEFORE you leave. They withhold a week? Tough, pay up now. Seems that alot of them realize that you are probably not gonna come back and sue them for what they owe you. BUT, there is an upside. Should you actually go back and sue for your wages, you can get 5 times the amount of your claim plus legal expenses in most small claims jurisdictions. The downside is that there is a one year statute of limitations for most small claims courts.

All told, between the 2 companys, I'm out about 8 G's. :evileye The statute of limitations has expired, or I'd go back on them in a heartbeat!! I'd LOVE to take Altheim (and Tint America) down a peg or two. But I hear he has other major probs, so maybe Karma does work!! From what I'm hearing $17,500 (5 times what he owes me) is a drop in the bucket of what he owes other, more influential people.

I saw this "scam" you are referring to, and even called him about it. It didn't sound too appealing, as he said that they would set prices, so I passed. Sounds like I dodged one there!! I hope you kept all email correspondence, and had something in writing. If you want to sue him, you got a place to stay, and all the legal research materials you need. I am less than an hour north of ATL.

Steve, if you are interested in taking Altiem down a peg or two, contact the others he owes and offer to be a witness in their court case. If you have all of your paperwork from the work you did, you can be called to offer testimony in this case even though your time has run out to claim. Your testimony helps show a pattern of him doing this. Since they supposedly can claim for 5 times the original amount, they may agree to offer you a something to receive your testimony, which would bring some monetary return and give you the satisfaction of helping nail him. As a wise man once questioned, 'Do you have the testiculer fortitude to go on???'. We will see...................

good luck all of you

Guest SoCar

sadly, sounds like "steve" had a good idea. unfortunately he's lacking some integrity. I would imagine that its an opportunity for several operators to band together, split marketing and create opportunities.

im waiting on two checks...one in not a sub job but a resturant I tinted in january...they let the guy who was the manager go...he says he gave his bosses my papper work...now I have to track them down...it 620.00...the other is a sub job I did in november.....4000.00....I call and leave a message every day starting last week......called once a week about a month before that....it sucks chasing your cash...and the 4000 grand guy called told me he was waiting on his check...ok....then callem me told me he got his check and was depositing it......and then nothing....f'in a'hole....

good luck with your a'holes guys

Guest Key West
Just wanted to put out a inquiry about a "company" I have been do sub work for. I am wondering if anyone else has been doing work for a guy named Steve, based out of Atlanta. He has put up websites in some of the major cities here in the states. Some of the sites are TintPhoenix.com, Tintlasvegas.com and a few others from what I understand. After doing 5, or so, cars for him over the last 2 months, I yet to receive a check for the services. The biggest deal is I supplied labor and materials for this guy. Has anyone else had any issues with this same company? I would like to know. And if you haven't done anything with this company, I would suggest against it highly.
Yeah, "Steve" worked me over for $8400 last summer for crew work in Colorado and Nevada. He paid airfair and hotel, just never paid the labor I was owed. I got the guy's GSA revoked, but unless I want to travel back to out of state sue him, he is "unreachable". He and many others are professionals at this kind of scam, so beware!

It's a part of the game, unfortunately. Back in '04, I subbed out some work for Hurricane Glass Sheild, (owned by our old 3M distributor, Who better to trust than your distributor?), all went well until time to get my final check. I waited and waited, and finally called them. Basically, I was told that I was beat. Then, in '06, I did some work for Mike Althiem at TintAmerica in Boynton, Fla. HE kept my final check also, due to "re-dos". They were using ArmorCoat, and claimed that the "Champagne Bubbles" were my fault. I did over 4 months work at both HGS and TA. Hell Altheim even went so far as to say that he had no record of me doing the work. I still have the work orders, and I'd bet that the custys would remember that I did the work.

Bottom line, you gotta get your money BEFORE you leave. They withhold a week? Tough, pay up now. Seems that alot of them realize that you are probably not gonna come back and sue them for what they owe you. BUT, there is an upside. Should you actually go back and sue for your wages, you can get 5 times the amount of your claim plus legal expenses in most small claims jurisdictions. The downside is that there is a one year statute of limitations for most small claims courts.

All told, between the 2 companys, I'm out about 8 G's. :evileye The statute of limitations has expired, or I'd go back on them in a heartbeat!! I'd LOVE to take Altheim (and Tint America) down a peg or two. But I hear he has other major probs, so maybe Karma does work!! From what I'm hearing $17,500 (5 times what he owes me) is a drop in the bucket of what he owes other, more influential people.

I saw this "scam" you are referring to, and even called him about it. It didn't sound too appealing, as he said that they would set prices, so I passed. Sounds like I dodged one there!! I hope you kept all email correspondence, and had something in writing. If you want to sue him, you got a place to stay, and all the legal research materials you need. I am less than an hour north of ATL.

Steve, if you are interested in taking Altiem down a peg or two, contact the others he owes and offer to be a witness in their court case. If you have all of your paperwork from the work you did, you can be called to offer testimony in this case even though your time has run out to claim. Your testimony helps show a pattern of him doing this. Since they supposedly can claim for 5 times the original amount, they may agree to offer you a something to receive your testimony, which would bring some monetary return and give you the satisfaction of helping nail him. As a wise man once questioned, 'Do you have the testiculer fortitude to go on???'. We will see...................

Anyone in litigation, or intending to file suit against Tint America can contact me. All my contact info can be found at www.tamingthesun.com. The statute of limitations has expired for me, but I sure as hell am willing to help someone else. This man pisses me off just by his very existence in the industry. I can also document 4 mil installs, where 8 mil was sold. PLEASE call me.

im waiting on two checks...one in not a sub job but a resturant I tinted in january...they let the guy who was the manager go...he says he gave his bosses my papper work...now I have to track them down...it 620.00...the other is a sub job I did in november.....4000.00....I call and leave a message every day starting last week......called once a week about a month before that....it sucks chasing your cash...and the 4000 grand guy called told me he was waiting on his check...ok....then callem me told me he got his check and was depositing it......and then nothing....f'in a'hole....

good luck with your a'holes guys

My advise is just keep calling everyday and hope you keep getting another person to say I'm calling about the over 90 day payment I yet to recieve and hopefully telling more than one can get the point across.

Thanks for the Heads Up on the Scam artist STEVE

Guest Key West
............and then you get a judgement or the dude files bankruptcy once again leaving you with no money to collect. Now your out your expenses and time to travel somewhere to testify or do depositions and you still don't see a dime.

I don't think KW is lacking in the testiculer fortitude to do anything, I think he just made a wise decision to not keep chasing ghost money :evileye

Bankruptcy laws have changed. It's not quite as easy to dodge creditors as it used to be. Bankruptcy is always a last resort for most, but if what the coconut telegraph reports about Alteim hold true it's looking like thats a real possibility. Bear that in mind when you think about throwing good money after bad,

Certified mail is the only way to get their attention, with a set Date that Payment is to be made by.

If not paid by that date, we will be pursuing other options.

At the worst, sell it to a Collection Agency, you get some $$ and they get to deal with the Collectors calling all the time demanding money !

Archived