Wrangler soft top

tint bandit

my understanding is plexiglass is similar..& gives of a gas for yrs after it's manufactured causing it to bubble up..anyone else hear this or confirm this is correct ?

Yes TW...

Acrylic (plexiglas) & polycarbonate (lexan) both outgas and have uneven surface expansion rates, leading to film blistering or tunneling up from the surface short and long term.

Glass has more even surface expansion rate and happens to be exactly the same rate as the polyester substrate used to make window film. :lol

a buddy of mine (he actually was a tinter) did the back uhh....'see through part' of his convertible top that was not glass...imagine the look after it's been put down several times :lol6 I told him to get it off there, he was like, no I just want it dark from the inside :hmmm:lol6 he works at am RV factory now :booga

Guest nwflboy

I've done it with static cling film. It works but, the customer will have to re-apply it from time to time. Other than buying a new top - it's the only viable alternative.

Guest Key West

All of the above, PLUS the liability factor. Are you ready to shell out for a new zip in, or soft top JUST in the event you cut one trying to tint it? Happened to me with a mustang convertible. What I charged didn't EVEN come close to replacing the top. I will not do a convertible top, glass or not.I am VERY careful, but the unexpected happens when you least expect it. I have a 1000.00 deductible on my shop ins. Not much help. :DD

Don't do it!! It won't work!

Have the dealer buy tinted zip ins.

If you even try to put scotch tape on those plastic winders, it will never come off clean, so when the film phucks it up, it will need to be replaced.

I've been working Jeeps for 15 years or more, never try to tint plastic windows.

Think about how they get handled when you store them with the top down, the film won't take that kind of abuse.

Archived