2004 Mazda RX8

Guest shadytinting

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone able to post a DIY for an RX-8 owner that wants to try tinting it himself. I bought 35% VL Tint and wanted to know how to do it. I tinted our Paladium window in the front of the house and it was really easy. Figured a car is the same.

Can someoone look at these steps I think I am supposed to do:

1) Roughly cut film to shape on outside of car.

2) Clean inside of window very good.

3) Peel backing off tint, spraying it with solution so it doesn't stick to itself.

4) Spray window.

5) Adhere tint.

6) Squeege tint to remove air bubbles.

Not sure how to shrink / size tint nor make it wrap around a curve without letting it lay that way and trimming to shape. Also not sure how to get that 1/4" gap around the tint. If there is anything else someone could help me with I would greatly appreciate it. BTW - live in Maryland near Fredrick if there is a good tint shop that is decently priced and I can't do this. Please send emails to dyochem@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Some questions besides steps above:

1) Do you have to remove any molding when you tint. I would assume if everyone is saying it could tint itself would be a no.

2) About how much film will I need? I bought one roll so far and it says it will cover 2 1/2 fett by 6 1/2 feet. Will this be enough for the two sides, rear quarters and rear?

Scott

dude...it's a sweet car.  just take it to a professional.  :lol  car owners that spend $30,000 on a car and can't spend $200 to have it tinted drive me friggin nuts.  fuggin aye  :lol  here's mine...

[*]303592

:dunno:dunno:dunno:lol

is that yours blade? like you own it? :lol:spank:lol

Can someoone look at these steps I think I am supposed to do:

1) Roughly cut film to shape on outside of car.

2) Clean inside of window very good.

3) Peel backing off tint, spraying it with solution so it doesn't stick to itself.

4) Spray window.

5) Adhere tint.

6) Squeege tint to remove air bubbles.

[*]303585

With these instructions out..I'm in awe how come there isn't a pro tinter on every street corner...there is a few more "tricks to the trade than this"

Things you cannot read and master on one car.

I've done many of these cars..my way and not nessessarily THE way is to pull off the door panels on this car due to having to shrink the doors + it's too tight a gasket area for longevity of no peeling (but that's a separate arguement on the forum) :beer:lol

1/4 windows are easy.

If you know what your doing, the shrink on the back window isnt too bad either...good luck on loading that peice on cleanly for a first timer :thumb

Last but not least ..take a nice car like that and as mentioned B4...take it to a pro :)

You figured wrong  :thumb

[*]303654

Blade - $200 is $200. The guy at the first tint place I went to said he wanted $250 to do it - which I think is pretty high. I might have a 30k car, but that doesn't mean I don't like to do things myself if I can - change the oil, brake pads, rotors, remove the bumper and add a CAI, etc. I will probably call around today to different shops and see what they charge to do it.

autotinter - Unlike most people, I do listen to people with more experience than me. That is how I learn things, at least from people who are willing to teach others...

TW - Thanks for the nice reply. I had watched a guy tint my Probe back in '90 and then doing the window in the house thought it might not be too hard. I read through the forums and looked at most of the pointers that people had. I also checked out the directions on applying tint from TD, learned what shrinking is, and the problems associated with DOTS. I am a pretty smart/handy guy and if I can read a set of directions, I can basically do anything. My general attitude is that I can try anything once, and worse case scenario if I FUBAR it, I pay someone to do it right. Basically, if you don't try something then you don't know if you can or can't do it - which is how I finished my entire basement (from framing, HVAC, elect., plumb, etc.). I took the same approach with my car and installed: CAI, GPS, SkyFi, etc.) Although I haven't had experience of tinting tons of different cars like some on here, I might have become a little mislead in reading that the RX-8 "almosts tints itself" on the forums.

In my meager attempt yesterday, I started by dealing with just the driveside door. I removed the rubber gasket in the door jamb, then removed the tweeter housing. When I got to the door panel I figured it would be easier to tint if I just removed it as well. That is about the time I decided that it might be more time and damage then I wanted to take on for the car. That is one of the reasons I asked so many questions, was to learn what to do or not do. I agree that if tinting was so easy then everyone could be a professional tinter, but not everyone has the desire or ability to do things. Those that can - do, those that can't - pay someone else to do it. I think I might just pay someone else and save myself a few hours of frustration.... now if I had someone around to help I might just try it to see how/if it can be done.

Archived