Military and Tinting

Guest seibikitei

Guest seibikitei

Greetings everyone,

Stumbled upon this forum and site while doing research on tinting. I would have put this in an existing thread but didn't see one that matched enough in context. Though as I searched through and was looking at the laws I realized that I haven't seen anything that says what determines the applicability of state tint laws. I'm active duty military and stationed in California at the moment, I have a California driver's license but my car is registered in Virginia (I was lazy and CA wanted way to much to change it). I'm planning on having my car tinted here in CA but am not sure who's law to follow, CA says no tint at all on the front side windows and no restriction on the rear, VA says 35% on the rear and 50% front sides.

To make matters even more interesting I'm probably going to be transferred to Maine in a few months and they have a different law from the other two... any advice as far as which state law I'm required to follow? I would like to tint my front sides as I'm having a new head unit installed and would prefer it not be quite so obvious it's there but would also like to stay legal and avoid as much hassle as possible. Thanks for the help in advance and also the information here has definitely made me a smarter consumer as far as tinting cars go, thanks again.

while in military you can do a lot of things with vehicles.....

If you are in CA and have VA plates then you could probably do about anything you want as the CA police shouldn't bother you for a CA law.... If you are going to keep it with VA plates then do it to the law for there...

If you want to get real tricky then set up your HOR as a state like TX, transfer registration to TX and get your DL for TX...then you can tint that mug to TX laws and all....

I was in the AF and stationed at Edwards CA. Had IL tags, but didn't worry about the law as the car was not going to be in IL until I got out... drove around Cali with dark tint on my windows and never got blinked at for it....MP did say something once, but didn't do anything.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I'm from Fresno, and do alot of military personel cars. Last I heard is that the mp's were enforcing the laws and telling the people that they had to take the tint off. They were mostly being messed with while entering the base.

Over at Lemoore Naval they are tripping there too, I used to have alot of those guys wanting dark tint too, but now they toned it down quite a bit due to the same reasons.

I know this is a old post but I had to give my $.02. YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE STATE WHERE YOU ARE STATIONED AT. You may not get pulled over righ away but sooner or later you will. Trust me, I am in the AF and I was also a Sheriffs Deputy so I have seen it from both ends.

After 10 days in California you are expected to have the car registered in this state.

Military is an exception. While in the military you can be a legal resident basically anywhere. I was always an Illinois resident while in.

Guest tintguy31707

Here in georgia they changed the law so that they can give anyone with another states registration a ticket....

Cops generally don't give tickets to military around here... if you were here I would say go dark enough they can still see in (20%) any darker and you do deserve a ticket.

I live within 50 miles of 3 military bases and cops generally show them respect by not giving them a ticket.

If you wanted to do the right thing though you should check with all possible states that you COULD be living and driving in and try to comply with all of them ... even if you have to be a little lighter... that or you could just have it redone every time you move :D.

After 10 days in California you are expected to have the car registered in this state.

Military is an exception. While in the military you can be a legal resident basically anywhere. I was always an Illinois resident while in.

Reading old post.

Yes you are correct, while in the military you can be a legal resident of basically anywhere, but you still have to follow by the laws of the state you are stationed at.

Accidentally hand him your military ID instead of license, he thanks you and sends you on your way.

Trust me I have spent 19+ years in the military and have been tinting 15+ and it does not work that way in ND and CA.

Archived