Did I bite off more than I can Chew ?

Guest MCStint

Guest MCStint

Hi , all you tinters out there. You guys have a great forum here, makes me want to see if there's one like it for PPF. First let me explain I am not a tinter by trade but a stripe & graphic guy with 20 years in my field including 15 in PPF- I've done over 1000 cars in PPF in the last three years alone so I've spent alot of time with a turbo in my hand. Here is my problem, my tinting experiance is limited to a few auto side windows and other small stuff. I keep a roll of 20" 50% (legal in Mn ) in stock to help my body shop accounts when their in a pinch and thats about it. I have a long term customer ,who uses me for everything ,that gave me the job of redoing his lighted signs and his store front glass lettering,the problem is there is a custom co. logo thats half vinyl and half painted shadowing on the inside of the glass, and replacing them is not an option. the vinyl and paint are quite thin and he wants me to tint over them. The remainder of the lettering will go on the outside glass. the window in question is 6'by8' and the graphic is about centered. It's double pane with a north to northwest facing. He wants 15% silver reflective, he has other windows tinted this way for several years with no problems.he's had me tint a couple car windows in the past and thinks I shouldn't have any problems doing this ! I know you guys are going to tell me to bring in a tinter for this but he wants he to do it-no he insists that I do it. With your help and suggestions I think can but I have never handled film this large (72") and have not trimed FG before. Any suggestions,tips and advice-tools,squeges,app fluid would be greatly appreciated. THANKS !!! MCStint P.S I have to leave the site for a couple hours but will be back to see any responses.

Hi , all you tinters out there. You guys have a great forum here, makes me want to see if there's one like it for PPF. First let me explain I am not a tinter by trade but a stripe & graphic guy with 20 years in my field including 15 in PPF- I've done over 1000 cars in PPF in the last three years alone so I've spent alot of time with a turbo in my hand. Here is my problem, my tinting experiance is limited to a few auto side windows and other small stuff. I keep a roll of 20" 50% (legal in Mn ) in stock to help my body shop accounts when their in a pinch and thats about it. I have a long term customer ,who uses me for everything ,that gave me the job of redoing his lighted signs and his store front glass lettering,the problem is there is a custom co. logo thats half vinyl and half painted shadowing on the inside of the glass, and replacing them is not an option. the vinyl and paint are quite thin and he wants me to tint over them. The remainder of the lettering will go on the outside glass. the window in question is 6'by8' and the graphic is about centered. It's double pane with a north to northwest facing. He wants 15% silver reflective, he has other windows tinted this way for several years with no problems.he's had me tint a couple car windows in the past and thinks I shouldn't have any problems doing this ! I know you guys are going to tell me to bring in a tinter for this but he wants he to do it-no he insists that I do it. With your help and suggestions I think can but I have never handled film this large (72") and have not trimed FG before. Any suggestions,tips and advice-tools,squeges,app fluid would be greatly appreciated. THANKS !!! MCStint P.S I have to leave the site for a couple hours but will be back to see any responses.

Seriously, if you have not installed flat glass at all then you are going to really need to refer to a tinter that has! If you do try it be prepared to waste some film and when you waste that 8 foot of film you will wish you had just got someone that knew what they were doing to help you.....

I CAN do ppf if I really wanted to, but when even a small piece of it gets wasted then I hate the loss of profit.....I would not even want to lose that large of a piece of window tint film!!

cuaght in a binde I say if your going to have a piece that big and had no experance you should get a least one or even two people there to help hold that peice. it should be cali rolled but im sure you can research and learn. the best advice I would say is get some-one...lol(2people to holding the corners) they can hold the peice while you pull the clear off and soak it down...

check list for tools

olfa

squegee- they make one for cleaning and one for installing

five way-hard card

papar towels

slip soluion

drop clothes

and yuor fingers crossed you dont srew up a peice that big?

there is alot to it and also sugest sub-contracting? unless your eager to learn -which sounds like you are, which is good!

Archived