Strange BMW 330 coupe problem...

ferrisbueller

Hi all

UK tinter here, been reading the forums for a while now (very helpful) and regret my first post is a problem. I tinted a 2008 BMW 330 coupe about 4 weeks ago with SunTek Carbon 35, the customer called the next day to say that when he used his rear de-froster his radio reception cut out then returned when the defrost was turned off. I advised that the tint would hold water for a couple of weeks and could be causing electrical interfearance with the antenna which is also on the back glass. Customer has just called today to inform that the problem is still present after 4 weeks. I removed the rear deck for the install, glued the matrix at the top and kept the water down to a minimum.

Has anyone encountered this problem or are there any suggestions about possible causes.... sounds like this could get expensive!!!

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest naughtydog

I would disconnect the heated screen and retest. I think the aerial amp is in the NS c pillar, did you drop the side trims out?

I normally wrap the aerial amp before install if I pull out the deck - which is only on the odd one when I can make myself do that.

Other than that - it sound like you need a trip to the dealer...sorry stealer.

Side panels were out and water kept away from the black boxes.... There is a black box under the deck that I wrapped in plastic, the wire comming from it was slightly kinked, what is this box?

This is the first electrical problem I've ever had and it had to be on a BMW and we all know how understanding BMW owners are.

I feel a trip to the dealer comming on.

Was the rear screen was tinted before?....I had a new 300C drive in for a premium install..... I had noticed very small amounts of defroster element gone. After I had showed the client the small defects on the rear screen he had confessed that another 12 volt shop had tinted it 2X before and that he was not pleased with there prodoct. So he told them to rip the klingon sh8t off. Go figure.....

First time install and all the elements look OK.... I've done a quick google search on defrosters interfearing with FM reception and it seems that many people suffer from this problem from new without tint (including quite a few BMW's). I spoke to the owner again and he can't recall ever using the radio and defrosters at the same time so cant be sure if the defect was there pre-tint so may be able to persue it as a warranty issue with BMW but I doubt it. Happy days.

Was the rear screen was tinted before?....I had a new 300C drive in for a premium install..... I had noticed very small amounts of defroster element gone. After I had showed the client the small defects on the rear screen he had confessed that another 12 volt shop had tinted it 2X before and that he was not pleased with there prodoct. So he told them to rip the klingon sh8t off. Go figure.....
That happened to me last week on a back glass, check the defroster lines on them, could have already been there

Guest Mo Evo
Hi all

UK tinter here, been reading the forums for a while now (very helpful) and regret my first post is a problem. I tinted a 2008 BMW 330 coupe about 4 weeks ago with SunTek Carbon 35, the customer called the next day to say that when he used his rear de-froster his radio reception cut out then returned when the defrost was turned off. I advised that the tint would hold water for a couple of weeks and could be causing electrical interfearance with the antenna which is also on the back glass. Customer has just called today to inform that the problem is still present after 4 weeks. I removed the rear deck for the install, glued the matrix at the top and kept the water down to a minimum.

Has anyone encountered this problem or are there any suggestions about possible causes.... sounds like this could get expensive!!!

Thanks for any help.

I had this exact problem after tinting a new Mitsubishi Eclipse at the dealer. The customer bought the car in the summer and didn't use the rear defroster until the rain came. When the defroster was turned on, radio reception went in the dumpster. I removed the tint and vinyl from the window and the problem persisted. The dealer replaced the rear window under warranty and it worked fine. So I tinted the back again and voila...no problem. Take from that what you will but there could be a problem with the glass/defroster element itself. One question...Did you cut on a defroster line?

Guest OnTheDarkside

I say hey, if the car has warranty, plead ingorance and have the dealer fix their mistake on the vehicle they made....evilness I know :dunno

Archived