LLumar Windshield

Guest scottydosnntkno
Nevermind legality, what about the "give" the W/S is supposed to have in a crash? Not too safe in my humble opinion.

would it affect it as much going outwards(airbag) as inwards like trying to break a window? Seems like trying to expand the space within the glass pieces wouldn't be as bad as compressing the space.

The current requirement of a windshield......

" In many countries, including the U.S., auto windshields are required by law to be made of laminated glass. Laminated glass can bend slightly under impact and is less likely to shatter than normal safety glass. This quality reduces the risk of injury to the automobile's passengers."

Does that answer your question?

no lol.

I figured TD meant it in that the windshield gives when the airbag hits it, or a person, so putting a film on it would hinder those properties. I was saying how it seems film is good at the inward blows(concave surface being pressed inwards), but going outwards(airbags exploding, concave surface outward) it wouldn't hinder it as much, so it wouldn't be as much of a safety issue :dunno

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nevermind legality, what about the "give" the W/S is supposed to have in a crash? Not too safe in my humble opinion.

would it affect it as much going outwards(airbag) as inwards like trying to break a window? Seems like trying to expand the space within the glass pieces wouldn't be as bad as compressing the space.

" In many countries, including the U.S., auto windshields are required by law to be made of laminated glass. Laminated glass can bend slightly under impact and is less likely to shatter than normal safety glass. This quality reduces the risk of injury to the automobile's passengers."

no lol.

I figured TD meant it in that the windshield gives when the airbag hits it, or a person, so putting a film on it would hinder those properties. I was saying how it seems film is good at the inward blows(concave surface being pressed inwards), but going outwards(airbags exploding, concave surface outward) it wouldn't hinder it as much, so it wouldn't be as much of a safety issue :dunno

Scotty.... LAMINATED... two pieces of glass bonded together with a layer of plastic in between.... inwards , outwards .... same amount of flex.... I would think, but I guess I could be wrong.

Guest mikeMN

no lol.

Maybe consider the fact that you will have glass a laminate and glass and film. What will happen when you break the glass from the inside as the film is the first layer and as the glass fragments will not be able to move outward as well with the film applied working against the laminate as it moves forward, that is not the way it was designed for. As it will hinder the ability for the glass to break like it has been tested for. :dunno

Guest scottydosnntkno

no lol.

Scotty.... LAMINATED... two pieces of glass bonded together with a layer of plastic in between.... inwards , outwards .... same amount of flex.... I would think, but I guess I could be wrong.

I know its laminated. I was just thinking the outward force would be less than the inward force with the extra layer of lamination since it being on the inside would be pushing out of the curve, not in.

Guest Crackz

there is plenty of of problems with the strength of glass when after marketly installed glass is designed with roll overs in mind front impacts side impacts and so on when not properly replaced these events can be deadly

Yeah pretty sure they mean the AIR film. They told me that it passed legislation federally and now has to pass state to state. I figure the safety thing has always been the issue with tinting windshields. Maybe with all the safety features cars have now, they can get around it. You shouldn't ever hit your head on the windshield anymore in an accident. I don't know, it will be nice if it gets legalized. Btw, the AIR is on back order right now, at least thats what my distributor says

omg people its not going to hender the tensle stregth!

if anything this will help the smaller fragments of glass from being thrown threw the car from a outside impack. from the inside it should still be better, as the sharp edges of glass are coverd from being exposed by the tint.

I say all glass should be tint for that reason

"protection from flying glass!"

I dont know how many times I have seen a piece of glass held together by tint. the differance ive seen between the two, having tint and not? "big mess little mess"

Guest scottydosnntkno
Yeah pretty sure they mean the AIR film. They told me that it passed legislation federally and now has to pass state to state. I figure the safety thing has always been the issue with tinting windshields. Maybe with all the safety features cars have now, they can get around it. You shouldn't ever hit your head on the windshield anymore in an accident. I don't know, it will be nice if it gets legalized. Btw, the AIR is on back order right now, at least thats what my distributor says

Lots of people still don't wear their seatbelts, which is why theres so many safety features in the first place. They can't just assume everyones going to wear their seatbelt, they have to plan for bodies flying through and at things when they design them.

omg people its not going to hender the tensle stregth!

if anything this will help the smaller fragments of glass from being thrown threw the car from a outside impack. from the inside it should still be better, as the sharp edges of glass are coverd from being exposed by the tint.

I say all glass should be tint for that reason

"protection from flying glass!"

I dont know how many times I have seen a piece of glass held together by tint. the differance ive seen between the two, having tint and not? "big mess little mess"

Thats what I was getting at is that the outward tensile strength would not be affected by an inward applied film

"While other films employ very dark tinting to achieve similar levels of heat rejection, LLumar's windscreen film color is light enough to meet visible-light transmission laws worldwide. Its optical clarity and low reflectivity will not interfere with night driving."

regardless of how dark it is, isn't it !llegal in every state to have any sort of film on your windshield?

It is a product that has gained popularity in Europe countries. I beleive their tint laws are much different then ours. Its also an option for someone here in the states that want just UV protection and high visibilty on the other windows "except" the windshield

Archived