Door vents, whats your technique?

4577_94174066085_573151085_2501303_.jpg

n573151085_2501302_1917407.jpg

Hi guys, just a quick one, what techniques do you guys use to tint door vents?

I know some tinters remove the glass completely, tint it and then re-install. Have also heard of trimming a bit of the rubber out to give you a small area to slide the film in behind.

Some of the newer vehicles now, X5's RR's etc have bonded vents with the black ceramic edges which make them very very easy but those that are still held in with screws and rubbers, still cause us some problems and I was wondering what methods you guys use to get a nice quick, clean install?

Thanks, Jon

clean glass + clean rubber = clean install. Just spend the extra couple seconds cleaning up everything and it should go well.

Thouse if it's really old and cruddy a bit of a trim will help with both the clean glass and clean rubber parts.

Guest tintpro2007
clean glass + clean rubber = clean install. Just spend the extra couple seconds cleaning up everything and it should go well.

Thouse if it's really old and cruddy a bit of a trim will help with both the clean glass and clean rubber parts.

:lol sometimes you can also run your sgueegee down the rubber, kind of jam it in there and run it around like so, it helps to loosen up the gasket some so the film can slide behind it, and allows you to run a papertowel around and kind of jam it in there also to get it good and clean..

My rule is if my razor blade that im scraping the window with can slide behind it, then the film can also, so no need for cutting, even though there are those occasions ill cut it... Just depends on the install

Guest thatsnappyguy

I use a peice of liner to cut the pattern. u can see through it, its alot softer and gets all into the corners, and it doesnt matter if u creaee the liner when cutting into the corners. then I take the tint and lay 2 peices together but facing opposite ways, "example...line to liner." Place the liner on top the tint, and double cut the vent with the pattern. works every time and is always perfect.

or highlight the vents, and click on CUT.

I use a peice of liner to cut the pattern. u can see through it, its alot softer and gets all into the corners, and it doesnt matter if u creaee the liner when cutting into the corners. then I take the tint and lay 2 peices together but facing opposite ways, "example...line to liner." Place the liner on top the tint, and double cut the vent with the pattern. works every time and is always perfect.

:lol exactly how I do it if I'm not using the plotter.

Guest naughtydog
Try pushing a small speaker wire with a hard card under the rubber, between the glass till it is not seen from the outside and you have room to slide the film past several inches of rubber trim designed to make us crazy. :lol

cheers :lol

Good one Stan - that's what I do on some.

To get the seals really clean I wrap my bone tool or slammer with a rag, spray the seals well, and use the point of the tool to get in there and clean the seals really well. For trimming the pattern I like to use the films straight edge for the straight side, then I use a marker to trace the rest of the pattern. I cut it out with scissors to a slightly larger size so that when it is installed it tucks behind the seals and there are no light gaps on the inside and no tint lines on the outside. :lol

Try pushing a small speaker wire with a hard card under the rubber, between the glass till it is not seen from the outside and you have room to slide the film past several inches of rubber trim designed to make us crazy. :spit

cheers :gasp

Good one Stan - that's what I do on some.

I always knew you were a smart one :gasp

:gasp cheers dude :spit

Archived