RV glass problem

I would guess that they are sealed but I don't know for sure. There is no moisture in them now and they have a seal in between them similar to all other dual pane glass.

The RV is very new, like maybe a couple years tops. They might be able to handle the extra absorption or maybe they are a time bomb and will fail on their own. If I tint it, then it will be my fault, regardless of if they were going to do it anyway.

I was hoping someone would have a definite answer, I don't want to but new glass for this guy and I don't want to tell him no warranty unless I absolutely have to.

We do a good share of RV's (we have an RV service company that we do clear bras and tint for) and that glass is going to get foggy with or without applied tint. And yes that glass is anywhere from $1000 to $2000 a piece. Just tell the customer that you will not warranty the glass for any type of failure whatsoever only the film and put it in your paper work. If they don't like that then walk away from it.

FWIW I used to work with a guy and we tinted class A motor homes ($2 Mil busses) with some pretty big IG units in them.

we used to put limo on some, blackout on others.. he was doing these for BUNCH of years (royal coach motor homes.. look them up. they were made in Elkhart, IN)

I DO know that if there was a scratch found on a piece of glass, or if they broke after assembly, or delivery, the bus had to be taken apart in order to replace them and the glass installers had to fly in from canada :boogie...

and the one thing I can reassure you of is that we NEVER had a problem with seal failure, or glass failure because of the film we installed :thumb

go for it, and don't worry about it. tempered stuff is WAY different than residential IG units :twocents

I hope this helps

FWIW I used to work with a guy and we tinted class A motor homes ($2 Mil busses) with some pretty big IG units in them.

we used to put limo on some, blackout on others.. he was doing these for BUNCH of years (royal coach motor homes.. look them up. they were made in Elkhart, IN)

I DO know that if there was a scratch found on a piece of glass, or if they broke after assembly, or delivery, the bus had to be taken apart in order to replace them and the glass installers had to fly in from canada :lol...

and the one thing I can reassure you of is that we NEVER had a problem with seal failure, or glass failure because of the film we installed :thumb

go for it, and don't worry about it. tempered stuff is WAY different than residential IG units :lol

I hope this helps

Same here............. tinted 100's just like this from Canada built into Provost body's. Never a problem putting privacy of um.

Bear in mind that in a tinted IG unit, it’s the outer pane that’s usually tinted. This actually helps the situation since the tinted outer pane blocks some of the thermal energy from entering the unit in the first place, hence reducing the risk.

IG units have been installed in vehicles for at least 10 years that I am aware of. It’s done more for sound reduction than any other reason. On my end, there have been no significant problems in terms of thermal shock or seal failure trends associated with filming IG units in vehicles.

Since the topic of dual pane has come up, it’s probably worth mentioning the general guidelines for dealing with DP: Just remember these two numbers [54 & 40].

40= Maximum sq/ft unit size you can film

54= Maximum TSEa when selecting a film

Following these general guidelines will keep you on the safe side. If you follow the guidelines and still experience breakage, there was probably some existing flaw in the glazing before you filmed it. Your film was probably the proverbial “straw that broke the camel’s back”. Be prepared however, since you are likely to get blamed for it.

It won't prevent you from getting sued, but here is some suggested language to insert into your contract or proposal:

“Your Company shall only be responsible for glass breakage which occurs during the time of installation”.

-Howard

Good info, thanks everyone. I talked to the guy today and explained everything to him. I told him there would be no warranty for seal failure and he was okay with it. I am doing it on Monday and I guess if it fails in the future I'll post something.

Same here............. tinted 100's just like this from Canada built into Provost body's. Never a problem putting privacy of um.

ironically, the ones we did back in the day were on Provost body's too HAHA... we put privacy and blackout on them all the time.. they were spec'd by Royal Coach (the manufacturer..err.. upfitter that customized the insides) to have blackout on some glass, sometimes only parts of the glass and other pieces had 5% on them... no problems at all.. AAAHHHHH I miss those days.. we installed the wood grain dash kits too, and gold plating, and the raised "royal coach" logos... my old boss actually made a template of their dash and sent it to the wood grain people and he got a patent on it and 'sold' them the templates for the dashes.. we achtually marked the cutouts on the 'stock' plastic dash (the black plastic) for where the factory workers had to cut out for their in dash stuff so that our dash kits would fit properly.. it was quite an operation

Good info, thanks everyone. I talked to the guy today and explained everything to him. I told him there would be no warranty for seal failure and he was okay with it. I am doing it on Monday and I guess if it fails in the future I'll post something.

post up some before and after pics :quote

Archived