why are the windows hot?

Guest jetcat2003

hooter to the touch.......

:dunno

:lol

Poor guy comes on here for help and we tease him for Hooter to touch.....but thats funny, hope he has a good sense of humor.

We can't help it if we like Hooters :thumb

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jetcat2003
Like everyone, I am trying to save on energy bills. I bought Gila "low e" window film and did my son's room first. There are three rooms on that side of the house with the exact same windows, all receiving the same sunlight. After installing the film, his windows are remarkably hooter to the touch on the inside! I talked to a manager at Lowes (where I bought the film) and he assured me this was how it is supposed to be. Is this true? Also, I have been told by several people in the window industry that tinting the windows with the low e solar - gard will help in the winter also. Do you know and can you help me with this? I know I must do the entire house to see the difference in my bills. Am I wasting my time and money (neither of which comes easily anymore : ). Thanks

Guest jetcat2003

Yeah, I thought I had proofread this. I did see the "hooter to the touch" (which, by the way is always a good thing) after I had posted it. It is funny and I the remarks are funny also. I knew it was coming. However, I am more confused than ever now... not about the hooters, but about my glass. Can't pull up the names of the replies since I am posting now, but some of them have me going bonkers. Major glass company here in central Florida (where I worked for a short time) recommended to one of their employees (a friend of mine) to use "low e". Now, I am reading that it could result in a "greenhouse"? Any further help PLEASE???? Thanks.

Guest tintjam65

Older Low E was terrible for use in the south

Today's Low E glass is very good at rejecting solar from the sun AND retain man made / far infrared heat. This is why it is recommended by glass companies. You cannot get the same level performance by installing a low e window film to clear glass.

Only film that performs like high performance low E (or Low E2, Low E3 or Low E4) is a new film Enerlogic by Vista Films.

Guest jetcat2003

The film I put on is reflective. Does that help or will I still get a hotter house? One of the dealers here said it is designed to stop (or at least lessen) heat transfer in AND out of the home. I also already have double paned windows. Does that help or hinder with window film? Not sure of the quality - probably some no-name brand. One of the last comments stated I won't get the same results with low-e film as I would with low - e windows. Makes perfect since. However, I can tint 3 windows for $46 or I can pay several hundred for each new window. It's just not an option any time in the near future. I don't want to waste money and if it's time for me to scrape it off and write off a small loss, then so be it. If anyone's got any more input, please post. Thanks.

Two comments:

We get quite a few calls asking why the glass is hotter to the touch after the application of film. The store clerk was correct; the application of film causes an increase in TSEa, hence the increased surface temp. The film is doing it's job.

Also:

I lived in Florida for 4 years when I was in school. The home I lived in actually had a fireplace, which I thought was odd (coming down from New York). Not only did I learn that sub freezing temps are common in winter, many homes in Florida have electric heating systems which are terribly expensive and inefficient. It does not surprise me that Low-E film and/or glazing is in demand there.

-Howard

The film I put on is reflective. Does that help or will I still get a hotter house? One of the dealers here said it is designed to stop (or at least lessen) heat transfer in AND out of the home. I also already have double paned windows. Does that help or hinder with window film? Not sure of the quality - probably some no-name brand. One of the last comments stated I won't get the same results with low-e film as I would with low - e windows. Makes perfect since. However, I can tint 3 windows for $46 or I can pay several hundred for each new window. It's just not an option any time in the near future. I don't want to waste money and if it's time for me to scrape it off and write off a small loss, then so be it. If anyone's got any more input, please post. Thanks.

My understanding is that low emissivity (Low E) has more to do with an insulating effect that hinders the transfer of hooter... I mean hotter... temperatures from one side of the glass to the other. It seems like in your case, the most important element to have in mind is the reflective value of a film. Is it reflecting more than it is absorbing? If it is not reflecting more than it is absorbing, it may cause your double paned windows to be alarmingly hot; even to the point of glass breakage. :spit

it may cause your double paned windows to be alarmingly hot; even to the point of glass breakage. twocents.gif

A valid concern. As professionals, we must know the guidelines & follow them.

-Howard

Guest vclimber

Heat does not cause thermal shock... you can heat a piece of glass up evenly to a high temperature and it will stay in state. Temperature difference across the surface of the glass is what causes thermal shock. :twocents

Archived