ultra night vision s25

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 3M 4 mil passes test that other mannys demand 7mil plus to pass. The film has respectable traits. Apparently you are learning why. I'd make an educated gues it's actually closer to a 5.5mil, so your 6mil comparisons would not be far off. Jesse Ventura of film was just chiming in and agreeing, but even V4V could be off a half mil...... :lol

Anything is possible!

But. .the ultra film at 4 or 5 ML only met that 400 ft lb ANSI standard which the other manufacturers met in 8 ML at nearly half the cost. The ASTM 1886 can only be met with an 8 ML film (many manny's have this!) or their 6 ML clear ultra at nearly twice the cost.

I won't mention the haze factor. :gay

Mike You need some"updated material" for your comedy routine........... :thumb ............. :gay ........... :gay

Seriously; I can spot ultra film the moment I walk into a home. There were many reasons for the distortion and it had nothing to do with microlayers.

And that's a fact. You won't see that on "their" affinity security film, or "their" ceramic film or "their" exterior films. .I can go on.

:lol

Guest vclimber
The 3M 4 mil passes test that other mannys demand 7mil plus to pass. The film has respectable traits. Apparently you are learning why. I'd make an educated gues it's actually closer to a 5.5mil, so your 6mil comparisons would not be far off. Jesse Ventura of film was just chiming in and agreeing, but even V4V could be off a half mil...... :gay

Anything is possible!

But. .the ultra film at 4 or 5 ML only met that 400 ft lb ANSI standard which the other manufacturers met in 8 ML at nearly half the cost. The ASTM 1886 can only be met with an 8 ML film (many manny's have this!) or their 6 ML clear ultra at nearly twice the cost.

I won't mention the haze factor. :thumb

Mike You need some"updated material" for your comedy routine........... :lol ............. :gay ........... :gay

I can go on.

Please do, I am finding this all very educational and a bit entertaining as well. :lol

Guest FilmBlazer
Any mmm'ers with a micrometer that can tell me how thick ULTRA NV25 is? There is no way it's a 4mil. I'm doing 700 15"x38"'s. and it feels like I'm cutting cardboard. I looked on the website, and didn't find the mil..

Straight from their website:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserve...s6EVs6E666666--

The film is 5mils... I haven't worked with it but just bid a project with it. As stated other manufacturers don't typically offer a comparable product to my knowledge. I came here to post a question about this film and here it is brought up recently, so here is my question....

Does anyone know of an alternate manufacturer's equivalent of this film that isn't 7 or 8 mils?

The alternative I have is Vista V28 8 mil but I sure don't want to work with the extra mils!

Thanks to all and I hope business is well.

:lol2

28 micro-thin layers of cross-woven polyester.

In all my years in this industry, I still have never figured this out.

First of all - I searched and searched and could not find a patent. If anyone knows where that might be, please post a link.

Second - if those layers of poly are cross woven TD/MD why are there no visible seams every 5-6 feet?

Third - Who is making this 28 layer base material? 3M??? Where is their plant ?????

-Howard

Guest pmuzik

Dayuum an opportunity to bang on the windowfilm anti christ and nothing from the V men in over a week :mad

First of all - I searched and searched and could not find a patent. If anyone knows where that might be, please post a link.

Second - if those layers of poly are cross woven TD/MD why are there no visible seams every 5-6 feet?

Third - Who is making this 28 layer base material? 3M??? Where is their plant ?????

Valid questions I guess :lol2 but does it really matter? and mor importantly does anyone really give a shiot?

28 micro-thin layers of cross-woven polyester.

In all my years in this industry, I still have never figured this out.

-Howard

I'm sorry I took this long to respond but TintDude's Wonder Twin alert was received by my implanted transponder. :lol2

Here goes:

There is a patent on micro-layering circa 1994. I believe the patent was DOW's originally with a license to 3M http://www.ptonline.com/articles/200603fa1.html.

Since these micro-layers are formulated at a nano scale you would not find a seam. The cross woven analogy was used simply to present the resulting tear resistance in a manner the average person could understand.

The ultra film was being made in Decatur AL and finished in Knoxville IA. The metalizing was done by an outside firm contracted by 3M.

I assume this is still correct but they may now be contracting the entire process to another company; or perhaps that Affinity stuff has me confused?

And. . I was right it's 5 ML thick.

Archived