60" rolls??

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone who still buys just 40" rolls these days is throwing away so much money. Measure and record the size off rear windows and roll ups on the next ten cars you see in the shop.

I recently switched from 40's to 36 and i agree i was wasting a ton of film with the 40's..60 for auto seems ridiculous unless you are getting it split :lol2

I would think if i split a 60 off my filmhandler as i needed it for auto that id have a ton of scrap pieces laying around but i've never tried 60 for auto :lol2 36 works pretty good for auto cause i haven't seen a backglass taller than this yet, most cars side windows you split 18/18 and it leaves an inch or so at the top to trim off and trucks i pull the film down 20-23 depending of vehicle and shrink to the sides if it needs to be shrunk any. Front banners i get a 20" roll of 5% split into 2 10" rolls so any excess on the backglass i always scrap anyway...

By splitting i meant the whole roll, not just the film as I used it. If I buy a 60" roll $---.xx and save 12-18% versus purchasing it pre cut at 2 different widths at $---.xx. It just seems logical that I save that 12-18% and spend a few minutes and split my rolls myself. I am just trying to find out all the downfalls with this. Thanks for the answers so far guys.

Guest Tint-Factory Car Shine II
By splitting i meant the whole roll, not just the film as I used it. If I buy a 60" roll $---.xx and save 12-18% versus purchasing it pre cut at 2 different widths at $---.xx. It just seems logical that I save that 12-18% and spend a few minutes and split my rolls myself. I am just trying to find out all the downfalls with this. Thanks for the answers so far guys.

Won't most distributors split 60" rolls at no charge? A shop I worked at used to do this, we would use up all the 36" rolls and end up with a bunch of 24's laying around. Personally I prefer 40", more scrap over 36" or not. ;)

One negative about ordering a 60" (that's not split), is wrinkling the film as you cut. Unless you have a film-handler(or table), I would discourage you from cutting it yourself. Even 40" can be tricky... without a film handler or good cutting table. The worst is you trying to be thrifty by getting a large roll and then wrinkle it right in the middle and boom there goes your savings... Just experience! Good cutting table or film handler goes a long way... :nope

Archived