Xpel Headlight film installation

Is it best to install this film wet like you would PPF? That's how I've always done it but didn't know if it was possible to do it dry, I don't wanna screw any of this film up it's too frickin :coffee

since the XPEL headlight film is thicker than the 8mil XPEL PPF, if the headlight is very curved (like a honda fit), I would use a heat gun on low heat and blow it on the headlight film few times to help the film relax(keep the heat gun moving otherwise you might melt the film) then peel backing paper spray a mist of alcohol then install it by tacking one end to the other in the center and work the fingers down on each side (if the fingers are big use heat gun on low heat and work the fingers down) but if the surface is flat just peel backing paper and spray a mist of alcohol and install. I would use the white hard card wrapped with paper towel to prevent from scratching the film.

Guest Darknesswithin

I don't have any problems installing either paint protection or vinyl on head lights or tails,,,

if I'm installing PPF on headlights I use the steamer,,, I'm uploading a video now on an PPF installation I did last weekend (headlights) if you want to see,

if I'm installing transparent vinyl on a lens I heat and pull and squeegee as I go,, all wet of course, similar to tinting

both PPF and transparent vinyl are very installer friendly on headlights or tails, I guarantee a few videos would have anyone geared up to install immediately

my favorite headlights are the 2006 monte carlo,,, the harder it is the more intriguing the install is to me :boogie

These are on an early 90's model Silverado. I ended up doing it pretty much as cool dude suggested. Sprayed a little alcohol and water on the lamp and heated it the rest of the way out. A pretty easy install other than the very top lip where it curves back in, that was the hardest part to get down.

These are on an early 90's model Silverado. I ended up doing it pretty much as cool dude suggested. Sprayed a little alcohol and water on the lamp and heated it the rest of the way out. A pretty easy install other than the very top lip where it curves back in, that was the hardest part to get down.

on the XPEL 30mil head light film,if there's a finger that is hard to get down I usually apply low heat swipe underneath the finger and spread the finger out into smaller fingers and it works great for me. but if its the 8mil ppf film i just install as usual and trim if neccessary

on the XPEL 30mil head light film,if there's a finger that is hard to get down I usually apply low heat swipe underneath the finger and spread the finger out into smaller fingers and it works great for me. but if its the 8mil ppf film i just install as usual and trim if neccessary

To elaborate a little further, it is smart to tack the top of the "bulge" of any light and go after the nastiest fingers first. This will make sure that you aren't stuck having fingers with no way to spread the excess film out.

As far as overall installation technique, I usually do the light alc/H2O mist initially to get it aligned, tack a small area and then use the heat gun behind the film to evaporate the rest of the solution and relax the film a little. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat though. Whichever way you do it, you just want to make sure that you don't get too close to the edge because you will have a hell of a time getting the film to stick on to tight of a radius, just like ppf.

Archived