remove 3M dusted crystal

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Retnitorp
Any advice / tricks to making the removal of 3M dusted crystal easier? I've removed it before with great difficulty and would appreciate any advice to make the job easier.

Do you know how old it is ?

What are the sizes ?

Type of glass it is on ?

Guest Retnitorp
Thanks for response. Single pane tempered glass. 1' X 5' panes. film has been there for 10 years.

First thing you need to do is check to see if the film is on the rough side of the glass "seeing how it is temperd" so you do not scratch the glass when removing the film.

You will need to use a 4" scraper for this, start in the middle of the window and make a full 4" path, go slow and move the scraper back and forth as you go, wet the window and now just remove 2" at a time starting over and at the 4" path you have made, you will find that if you do this slow it will come off hard and take a lot more muscle, speed is the key that will make it more easy to remove, the faster you can go when scraping it off you will see that it will take not much muscle to do so, i like to hold the scraper with both hands one hand on the handle and useing two fingers on the end "side" above the blade to help keep the razer blade tight to the glass and help to guide the direction of the scraper as i make the 2" path when removing, and change your scraper blades as you go and keep it wet.

Thats is one way to remove that film.

Earlier this summer we has to remove DC from 14 windows that were 56 x 108. I had the same questions you do and you can probably usethe search tool and find the thread. We ended up spraying it with a strong ammonia/water mix and using black plastic trash bags to let it bake. After about 20 min per unit, the stuff almost fell off. Clean and almost no glue residue. Someone here gave me the tip. I think it may have been Mike MN. If I forgot to thank him...... Wow did it make my life easier. Thanks.

Guest Retnitorp
Earlier this summer we has to remove DC from 14 windows that were 56 x 108. I had the same questions you do and you can probably usethe search tool and find the thread. We ended up spraying it with a strong ammonia/water mix and using black plastic trash bags to let it bake. After about 20 min per unit, the stuff almost fell off. Clean and almost no glue residue. Someone here gave me the tip. I think it may have been Mike MN. If I forgot to thank him...... Wow did it make my life easier. Thanks.

That way would be a Waste of time IMOP on a window that is only 12"x60"... :notwrthy

Like i said i have a few ways to remove that film, I bet that ammonia smells real good..... :rollin

Archived