remove 3M dusted crystal

Blades and elbow grease.

If It's scratchy glass, steam it.

Period.

This should have ended at #5

And yet I have still sweated it off. Did it on over 40 panes that were annealed. go ahead and use your steamer on that. Might save him the heartache of scratching the glass too. Again, the adhesive is PS.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Retnitorp
Someone here gave me the tip. I think it may have been Mike MN. If I forgot to thank him...... Wow did it make my life easier. Thanks.

Tom, I think that if you did not put down other films so much on this forum like you do a lot, that when you have a ? you and others on here may not be getting all the help you could have recived...... :wall

You know mikeMN did not help you with your Dusted Crystal ? :hmmm i wonder why.

I call them like I see em. Your correct the ammonia smelled horrible but worked well. In the event the film was on the rough side of the tempered, there was little or no glue to clean. That still does not change my opinion of that product. I still think it is crap. Sorry if bothers you. As far as the guy removing the smaller pieces...... If you have a better way you remove it you could post it or pm the guy instead of just saying you have your ways.... Cheers

I was over it to Tom as you would see if you go back and read that thread you are still getting all pissy about, but you just had to :poke at me, yes i have a few different ways i use for removal of 3M Dusted Crystal, i asked if the glass was tempered and i said to check what side the film was on, then i looked at the size of the windows and gave my suggestion the for this situation, if it was on the sh!ty side of the tempered i would have gave another way to remove, why do you think i should post every way i know on how to remove this film?, and you say in that other thread that you would rather use the SOLYX equal to 3M D/C as then you could pull it of in one sheet and :zzz , you are wrong on that Tom, you are thinking of a different film they sell because the SX-3140 SOLYX Dusted Crystal they sell will NOT remove in one pc, get you facts right before spreading more of your BS regarding other films you do not sell or sell it.

Tip for you, because i am thinking of your health and safety, the next time you are thinking on using Ammonia in your shop or on a job site or give advice to others to use it you really need to take a look at the MSDS for Ammonia, and read all of it.... :thumb

I am not trying to start any sh!t with you or anyone else on this forum, so if i see you have a ? and maybe i think i could help you i will..... :beer

Guest Retnitorp
The unfortunate truth is that there are soooo many crap lines of film being produced today that it is going to give the industry a black eye sooner, not leter. Too many companies dumping film on the market that they know is either faulty or just designed so cheaply that it is destined to fail within a few years. And those who are doing this know who they are and couldnt care less and will tell us all the lies theywant to sell film. I for one, respect those, like Tom, who arent afraid to tell the truth when it comes to 'garbage' film or reveal the behind the scenes stuff that goes on in our industry. Retnitorp, once you have been in the industry long enough, Customtinting, You have no idea on how much i know about this industry and on how much I have and the company i work for has Helped this industry advance since the 1960s, So you do not need to waste your time and to try and School me you will see them come and go, see the line that gets fed to you when you look for your manny to be standup and cover warranties, see the beating you get from those who, unfairly, profess to be manny/distributors then compete against you on the installation end. All this, and we are one of the few industries where our manufacturers REFUSE to spend even a penny on advertising direct to the market to drive sales. This end, WE are expected to pay for. Think about so many other areas, do you think that auto, appliance/electronics, home improvement supplies, specific food products,(to name a few) would have the sales they do without national and local MANUFACTURER advertising. I can say for sure that Chevy would fall by the wayside without the advertising they do. All other car mannys would pull so much away from them.

Yet WE get pretty much nothing from our manufacturers in terms of advertising and they expect us to be loyal to their particular brand, even when it starts to goes bad due to a manufacturing issue.(or sometimes due to cutting of the quality of raw materials) Look at your individual advertising budgets. What percentage of your yearly gross income goes out for this? Now, lookm at the budgets of the large manufacturers. What percentage of theirs goes out in DIRECT TO THE CONSUMER advertising? Not as high a percentage.(or none, is more like it) Most of their budgets go to promoting to US, as installers. However, this does nothing to drive sales. Without the consumer knowing of our product, we sell much less and so do they. So, would'nt it be prudent for them to save the monies they spend on advertising (print, etc.) to us and spend it where it will work the best, in the actual consumer markey!!! We must come to the realization that we are alone as retailers until one or more mannys wake up and see that the 'grass roots' way of getting the word out about window film(through us) will only take us so far. Regionalized advertising or national(for such as MMM) will be necessary to push this industry to the next level. :poke

With enough scraper blades, I am sure they will be 'SWEATING IT OFF"!!!! :lol2

Someone here gave me the tip. I think it may have been Mike MN. If I forgot to thank him...... Wow did it make my life easier. Thanks.

Tom, I think that if you did not put down other films so much on this forum like you do a lot, that when you have a ? you and others on here may not be getting all the help you could have recived...... :bingo

I call them like I see em. Your correct the ammonia smelled horrible but worked well. In the event the film was on the rough side of the tempered, there was little or no glue to clean. That still does not change my opinion of that product. I still think it is crap. Sorry if bothers you. As far as the guy removing the smaller pieces...... If you have a better way you remove it you could post it or pm the guy instead of just saying you have your ways.... Cheers

I was over it to Tom as you would see if you go back and read that thread you are still getting all pissy about, but you just had to :poke at me, yes i have a few different ways i use for removal of 3M Dusted Crystal, i asked if the glass was tempered and i said to check what side the film was on, then i looked at the size of the windows and gave my suggestion the for this situation, if it was on the sh!ty side of the tempered i would have gave another way to remove, why do you think i should post every way i know on how to remove this film?, and you say in that other thread that you would rather use the SOLYX equal to 3M D/C as then you could pull it of in one sheet and :blabla , you are wrong on that Tom, you are thinking of a different film they sell because the SX-3140 SOLYX Dusted Crystal they sell will NOT remove in one pc, get you facts right before spreading more of your BS regarding other films you do not sell or sell it.

Tip for you, because i am thinking of your health and safety, the next time you are thinking on using Ammonia in your shop or on a job site or give advice to others to use it you really need to take a look at the MSDS for Ammonia, and read all of it.... :thumb

I am not trying to start any sh!t with you or anyone else on this forum, so if i see you have a ? and maybe i think i could help you i will..... :beer

Somebody got thier pantys all up in a bunch

Guest Retnitorp

Tom, I think that if you did not put down other films so much on this forum like you do a lot, that when you have a ? you and others on here may not be getting all the help you could have recived...... :twocents

I was over it to Tom as you would see if you go back and read that thread you are still getting all pissy about, but you just had to :poke at me, yes i have a few different ways i use for removal of 3M Dusted Crystal, i asked if the glass was tempered and i said to check what side the film was on, then i looked at the size of the windows and gave my suggestion the for this situation, if it was on the sh!ty side of the tempered i would have gave another way to remove, why do you think i should post every way i know on how to remove this film?, and you say in that other thread that you would rather use the SOLYX equal to 3M D/C as then you could pull it of in one sheet and :blabla , you are wrong on that Tom, you are thinking of a different film they sell because the SX-3140 SOLYX Dusted Crystal they sell will NOT remove in one pc, get you facts right before spreading more of your BS regarding other films you do not sell or sell it.

Somebody got thier pantys all up in a bunch

I know its just the Internet Tom, so if you ever have a ? use it! and "good luck with all that"...... :thumb

The unfortunate truth is that there are soooo many crap lines of film being produced today that it is going to give the industry a black eye sooner, not leter. Too many companies dumping film on the market that they know is either faulty or just designed so cheaply that it is destined to fail within a few years. And those who are doing this know who they are and couldnt care less and will tell us all the lies theywant to sell film. I for one, respect those, like Tom, who arent afraid to tell the truth when it comes to 'garbage' film or reveal the behind the scenes stuff that goes on in our industry. Retnitorp, once you have been in the industry long enough, Customtinting, You have no idea on how much i know about this industry and on how much I have and the company i work for has Helped this industry advance since the 1960s, So you do not need to waste your time and to try and School me you will see them come and go, see the line that gets fed to you when you look for your manny to be standup and cover warranties, see the beating you get from those who, unfairly, profess to be manny/distributors then compete against you on the installation end. All this, and we are one of the few industries where our manufacturers REFUSE to spend even a penny on advertising direct to the market to drive sales. This end, WE are expected to pay for. Think about so many other areas, do you think that auto, appliance/electronics, home improvement supplies, specific food products,(to name a few) would have the sales they do without national and local MANUFACTURER advertising. I can say for sure that Chevy would fall by the wayside without the advertising they do. All other car mannys would pull so much away from them.

Yet WE get pretty much nothing from our manufacturers in terms of advertising and they expect us to be loyal to their particular brand, even when it starts to goes bad due to a manufacturing issue.(or sometimes due to cutting of the quality of raw materials) Look at your individual advertising budgets. What percentage of your yearly gross income goes out for this? Now, lookm at the budgets of the large manufacturers. What percentage of theirs goes out in DIRECT TO THE CONSUMER advertising? Not as high a percentage.(or none, is more like it) Most of their budgets go to promoting to US, as installers. However, this does nothing to drive sales. Without the consumer knowing of our product, we sell much less and so do they. So, would'nt it be prudent for them to save the monies they spend on advertising (print, etc.) to us and spend it where it will work the best, in the actual consumer markey!!! We must come to the realization that we are alone as retailers until one or more mannys wake up and see that the 'grass roots' way of getting the word out about window film(through us) will only take us so far. Regionalized advertising or national(for such as MMM) will be necessary to push this industry to the next level. :spit

With enough scraper blades, I am sure they will be 'SWEATING IT OFF"!!!! :aint

Retnitorp,

to respond to the statement you posted on, if you have been in the industry this long, then you know of which I speak. Film companies come and go and after so many years, the support is still low. I dont care how long the company you'work for' has been around and I do not wish to 'school' you. Once you become an 'OWNER" your view changes. Your statements do not show the wisdom of an elder in this industry. You attack those in this post and then go on another offensive when called on it. If you have been around soooo long, then you know we get minimal support from the mannys, as they do not show that they want to seriously grow the industry as a whole.

Remember, educating those who wish not to learn is futile.............and, if you havg around here long enough, here is a bit of advice that will help you............

FIND A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!

Another tip....if you are sweating it off, get a wallpaper scoring tool, available at Lowes or HD. THis looks like a mushroom cap with small wheels under it that have little point tips all the way around. Run it over the whole film lightly. This will put little pin holes all over the surface of the film. Then, when you sweat it, the vapors will get in all over the piece, making it easier to release.

great idea. I'm gonna have to try that one.

Archived