What would you do?

So a couple weeks ago i tinted an 08 caddy sts which i thought turned out fine, custy comes to get the car and is really eyeballing like those dreaded customers do and didn't like the quarter windows cause they had a little light showing on the end at the bottom..The bottom had pretty tight seals and i thought it looked fine but i told him i would redo it to make him happy so he leaves it with me to redo...Well second time around my F'n dull ass olfa put about a 1/2 inch etch in the window so instead of trying to get away with it i just told him i would replace the window not knowing the little bastard cost $1135 to replace :thumb:lol2 Anyhow i send him to a glass guy to try and buff it out and the guy said it didn't help, i myself talked to the glass guy today and he said it turned out awesome said you wouldn't know it was there if you didn't know it was there.. I really wanted to avoid putting this on my insurance but the guy won't be happy until he has a new window, i offered to give him his money back for the job and pay the $150 for buffing it out but it's just a no win situation...So would you guys go ahead and replace the glass or send him packing :D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bet you wish you woulda tried to get away with it now huh? :lol6

That one sucks...you had no blackout marker ??...not that it matters now.....

where you already agreed to replace it....i dont see how you could get out of it. Cant find a good one in a junkyard?

Yeah i should have tried but when a custy is steaming the windows during inspection you can hang that up..Yeah it has the black ceramic border but it's still takes a pretty precise cut for it to fit right. Popped a new blade before i started cutting, felt the blade drag a little so i stopped and popped the blade again and finished cutting it and when i pulled my pattern off all kinds of ugly words started flying out of my mouth :lol6 I figured it would be about $250 to put a new one in and i'd call it a learning experience, now im just disgusted. I found a window at the auto salvage for $125 but he's not to keen on that, also wants the GM logo no PPG on the glass :lol2 I woulda took the free tint job myself..

Bet you wish you woulda tried to get away with it now huh? :lol6

That one sucks...you had no blackout marker ??...not that it matters now.....

where you already agreed to replace it....i dont see how you could get out of it. Cant find a good one in a junkyard?

go to www.car-part.com

do a USA search for the part, it's under glass - vent.

they range from $50-250, find someone to ship it to you, you or the glass guy install it. Explain to the customer that it's a bolted in unit, so new or used doesn't matter, he can confirm this with the glass guy. The glass on the rest of the car is used, and there is nothing wrong with it.

We're talking the pickiest of picky customers though,any flaw in it he'll pick it out. my insurance guy said it would be covered but i've had my insurance with them less than a year and he said it would be possible that they would drop my coverage at renewal time... :dunno

We're talking the pickiest of picky customers though,any flaw in it he'll pick it out. my insurance guy said it would be covered but i've had my insurance with them less than a year and he said it would be possible that they would drop my coverage at renewal time... :dunno

I doubt they would drop your coverage, but you might have a $500 or more deductible.

Yeah, there is really no reason to get a new one. Hell, I have a used door glass in my neon that I got form the U-pull yard because when I got the car one was scratched, and I could have bought a new one as I am a glass shop, lol. There is nothing at all wrong with used bolted in/gasket set tempered pieces.

Archived