Low-E Flat Glass Film

I guess one of the bigger questions larry is will Madico, Solargard, etc. lower the standard to compete with Enerlogic IF CP is using a lesser testing method ? And if the scratch resistant coating is lesser, does it still justify the purchase , even IF the scratch resistant coating does not perform in the same way ?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess one of the bigger questions larry is will Madico, Solargard, etc. lower the standard to compete with Enerlogic IF CP is using a lesser testing method ? And if the scratch resistant coating is lesser, does it still justify the purchase , even IF the scratch resistant coating does not perform in the same way ?

I just want to be clear. I think Enerlogic is an AMAZING product. Its reset the standard for Low-E films, my hat is off to them.

Like I said above, it has to be installed and maintained differently and that isn't always a bad thing. I do think it is odd that tech services at CP did not mention any of this to V4V.

They are not using a lesser testing method. They have just raised tolerances on what is allowable by the standards set in place by the ASTM D-1044 Test. If I were to be selling this film as a dealer or a sales rep I would be suggesting different install methods such as what Blade indicated he and his crew did and also a care sheet so that the end user knows how to properly maintain it to reduce the risk of damaging the film.

I am just pointing out this is a different hard coat, not that it is a flawed product. There are always concessions that must be made when it comes to choices, this film has a HUGE upper hand when it comes to emissivity.

I should add the little marketing piece they did with claims of up to 92% insulating power is on par with 3M's 97% IR rejection spin. That is a whole different thread though. :twocents

Good questions being raised but my "guess" is that Solutia's patent pending isn't based on lowering their hard coat or haze standards. (If I am incorrect it's only because I have not read their patent app)

I guess what I am saying is that they have something unique (New To The World) and that delivering these type of performance characteristics isn't being obtained by limiting it's capability or aesthetics in another aspect of the films construction.

On the techie stuff, this is when I miss VClimber the most. Somehow he'd know all of this stuff off the top of his head. He was the master.

I am not Steve Debusk or Lisa Winckler so I have mentioned the issue to them and await their reply.

BTW when a Solar Gard rep (even one I like, which is rare!) makes these comparisons to their Low E film that has 1/2 EnerLogic's insulating capability; I have to take it with a grain of salt.

And. .the ten homeowners we have completed so far have not mentioned haze, etc. I personally haven't noticed it. .

but what do I know?!

I just want to be clear. I think Enerlogic is an AMAZING product. Its reset the standard for Low-E films, my hat is off to them.

Like I said above, it has to be installed and maintained differently and that isn't always a bad thing. I do think it is odd that tech services at CP did not mention any of this to V4V.

They are not using a lesser testing method. They have just raised tolerances on what is allowable by the standards set in place by the ASTM D-1044 Test. If I were to be selling this film as a dealer or a sales rep I would be suggesting different install methods such as what Blade indicated he and his crew did and also a care sheet so that the end user knows how to properly maintain it to reduce the risk of damaging the film.

I am just pointing out this is a different hard coat, not that it is a flawed product. There are always concessions that must be made when it comes to choices, this film has a HUGE upper hand when it comes to emissivity.

I should add the little marketing piece they did with claims of up to 92% insulating power is on par with 3M's 97% IR rejection spin. That is a whole different thread though. :twocents

Start that thread Larry. Knowledge is power. :sorry

One day, I've been too harsh already I am amped that products like this are coming to this industry. This is something huge for us to go against the glazing industry.

This isn't us vs. CP or anyone else. Its us vs. the glazing industry. You are right though, the more all of us know the better we can sell. These discussions are fun so long as everyone is clear I am not dogging Enerlogic!

Mike, I miss VC too.... Amazing guy.

One day, I've been too harsh already I am amped that products like this are coming to this industry. This is something huge for us to go against the glazing industry.

This isn't us vs. CP or anyone else. Its us vs. the glazing industry. You are right though, the more all of us know the better we can sell. These discussions are fun so long as everyone is clear I am not dogging Enerlogic!

Mike, I miss VC too.... Amazing guy.

San Diego - -I'll buy you a drink. .we can toast one to his memory.

I dont see any dogging between the 2 of you. Actually it seems like mutual respect for one another, and nothing personal . But i do love this soap opera. Maybe i need to get out more if this is whats entertaining me. Both of you guys are great about sharing knowledge of product that I think some of us installers and sales people would have not of otherwise know. Keep up the good work guys . :twocents

I dont see any dogging between the 2 of you. Actually it seems like mutual respect for one another, and nothing personal . But i do love this soap opera. Maybe i need to get out more if this is whats entertaining me. Both of you guys are great about sharing knowledge of product that I think some of us installers and sales people would have not of otherwise know. Keep up the good work guys . :twocents

I've learned from some of the best. Including Mike and VC

Most importantly, we are having fun... as sad as that sounds to enjoy going into discussions of this depth, but hey if you don't love what you do its not worth doing it.

Archived