Thoughts on the green movement

Would you say the benefits to our industry from the green movement outweigh the policies being enforced on you?

I know this forum has a super strong conservative tone to it, I pay a grip in taxes no I don't like it but this really isn't the point to the conversation and I hope that politics doesn't take over the subject.

I'm probably in the forefront of the green movement here in California and its blowing up, its not going anywhere and its time to get in or fall behind. I see this is a huge opportunity for the window film industry. Just trying to gauge how those in the field and in other parts of the world are reacting to the green movement.

edit - Is recycling a bad thing? I'm fine with it, takes me seconds and a few more trash cans to place items in the right spot. I'm sure we fund the services over here too, seems like a good thing to put money towards.

No LTL recycling isn't a bad thing.... I do it without thinking most of the time, as it is an ingrained habit. I feel better knowing that I'm not wasting a resource and adding to landfill too. I just payed a bundle to install solar electricty panels on my house also.

I think the green movement is a good thing overall and definitely has benefits for our industry. The problem I see, is that the public is being forced to 'think green and be green'. It takes time to change habits and cognition. The movement no doubt should have been gradually implemented 20 or 30 years ago, but wasn't, so governments around the world enforce the change by making non-green lifestyles cost. The problem with that is going green costs also. Bottom line, John Q public sees anything "green" as hurting his/her pocket, so even those who want to be green are left begrudging the cost associated with trying to do something good. Green won't become easy until the next generation comes of age. :yoda

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So LTL, I am not against everyone doing a little something to conserve our natural resources just because it makes sense. Hey I would love to get out of the car I am driving to fin myself a nice little Honda Civic to cut down on mmy fuel expense. Here in the Northeast and many other areas, we have to pay a deposit on bottles and if we return the bottles, we get the deposit back. This little policy has been a great boon for those who are less fortunate and homeless, because most of the time you go by the return machines, they are the ones standing there feeding the cans and bottles in. So I guess that is not such a bad thing. I personally think that the people who do the most for the environment are the ones who truely appreciate it for the resources that can be gathered. In reality hunters who are demonized are the ones who give the most for the conservation of the environment. When was the last time you saw the protesting hippies out in the forrest doing a clean up project to make it better for the wildlife?? I know that hunters do it regularly.

I guess my personal belief is the people running around in this farcical "Green Movement" are more eco-terrorist not really as concerned about the environment as they are about controlling human access to it.

Now lets talk about the Global Warming farce. The leading advocate for that movement is Al Gore, and what does he do???? He like to fly all over the place in his private Leer jet. Sounds very green huh. So in the name of global warming, they want to create a cap and trade system that will tax producers here and send that money to less developed countries. So I am curious how that is about helping the environment????

So how much do you hear about real green technologies?? Not a whole lot, because the state run media does not want that information out there until they can figure out ways to tax that energy usage, or find another means to make up for the lost revenue. Right now there is a lot of tesetd technology that could significantly reduce our oil consumption. If the home is insulated well enough, there is geothermal heating/ cooling that only requires the same amount of power as running 1 window unit air conditioner. How about natural passive solar heating and cooling in the less severe climates?

With all that is available, we could reduce our impact on the environment, but it will not be common place until we curb the government.

Just curious on the opinions on the green movement and how it is affecting your business and or lifestyle. Are you marketing your product and company as green, do you take measures to make sure you and your company truly are green, do you feel it is a waste of time etc... and what are your thoughts on green washing?

For me personally I have made some major changes in some areas and none in others. I hate to admit it but a lot of them came from being a poor college graduate. We don't waste anything at my house and my roomie is the same way so we have a compost for our garden, we recycle everything we can and I'm always trying to repair before I replace. We scored a busted lawn mower I repaired, part cheapness, part recycle... Although I am also a car guy and love to burn those fossil fuels on my old Mustang, although it could be argued I'm better having fun in that than disposing of it for a newer more efficient play toy.

So what are your thoughts? I know I live in a state where energy consumption, smog and garbage are big issues simply due to our population but it does feel good knowing you are doing your part not to litter the earth with more trash and leading by example. I'm not eating granola and driving a prius, don't worry!

I had some bad fish one time and then a green movement of my own. Pretty much the tame thing

hey hippie chick here is a razor, shaving cream and some deoderant..... please stop holding signs up until after you have figured out the proper way to use them :D

wow, not the direction I expected out of this tread but interesting either way.

I guess I haven't really felt like I'm being forced to do anything differently. I encounter more cases where its an inefficient building or home being assessed for ways to reduce energy consumption through lighting, hvac, and window film etc... This isn't being forced on them but its considered a wise and prudent move, for rebates and to keep tenants more comfortable.

Didn't mean to change the direction Tim, I'm not trying to be a jerk and I appreciate what you are saying, that our industry may benefit, but on the other hand let's take the CFL bulb issue for example.

In the name of going 'green' congress banned production of normal light bulbs and mandated highly toxic and expensive CFL bulbs...made in China.

It sounds good on the outside and of course it's good to conserve, and be good stewards of the earth, but this 'movement' IS POLITICAL from the outset, there's no avoiding the topic.

:lol

Not a problem at all, that is the interesting thing about open discussions. My biggest gripe is when the products are being marketed as green when in all truth they are very far from it. If you can imagine a factory producing a "green" product all the while the factory itself is inefficient and the carbon footprint of the manufacturing outweighs the carbon savings of the product. For example the Toyota Prius.

Archived