removing security film

x3 on strips.

My preference is to show/teach a new guy for a few lites until he stays ahead of the new installs. Then last year had one guy TEN SECONDS after being TOLD and SHOWN how to NOT get hurt somehow cut his thumb up REAL good. Man was boss :twocents when I called and told him we were off to the hospital and hadn't even done one window yet. He really is all for safety but some stuff really cranks his blood pressure.

Our normal training first day includes telling new guys that if they are afraid of blood loss they better go home now. It WILL happen eventually. Never thought that it would take TEN FRICKING SECONDS. For some reason that guy pays a LOT more attention to instructions now!

Steamer is a nono om flat glass in my opinion . Its a PS adhesive , so ammonia based glass cleaner helps a lot, or even straight ammonia . It really depends on the manufacturer and how aggresive their adhesive is . I know some of the 3M scotchcal adhesive can be horrendous to remove . I think sometimes when it comes to removing film its all blood sweat and tears . I am also thinking if 4 mil is on it , it is most likely annealed glass, so a steamer can cause glass breakage . :thumb

x4 on the strips. Make sure you use a sharp blade and don't press to hard when you cut the strips. I cut lines in the glass once. Cost me a couple hundred bucks. I'm always thinking of that when I remove safety film. I think it's easier to remove in direct sunlight if possible.

so basically a steamer won't help with security film. Or is it best to try peeling it when the glass is good and warm. Also are there any chenical's that will help soften the adhesive?

Unless you are sure the glass is tempered, steamer is a no go as jayz81 said. Not sure how much help it would be anyway.

Archived