New guy here from PA

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Hey guys. Finally joined the Tint Dude community! I've been searching around this forum for a while now. Learned a lot of things as well! Figured it was time to join and further my knowledge on this awesome awesome art form!

I'm a huge car guy (mostly SUV's). I have 3 Blazers, 06 Trailblazer SS, 94 S10 blazer, and a 93 S10 4 door blazer, that is bagged and body dropped. I attend car shows both local and out of state. I always give credit where credit is do though! Ive been doing tint jobs for around 5-8 years now. But that was using the junk tint from Walmart for the first 5 or so, and I wasn't nearly involved with it then as I am now. After searching around the forum here I found Howard at EWF. Super nice guy by the way. He got me hooked up with, and hooked on the EWF True Black line, and I use the 35/20/15/5%.

I'm down to the point where I know longer remove door panels. I can shrink most BG in one piece. I can only think of one car (Mazda 6) that I had to two piece. Though there are still a lot of tips and secrets I need to learn to further better my work. I've been doing 1-4 cars a week for the past 6 months to a year I would say. Obviously some weeks with no cars at all seeing as how this is just a side thing for me. I love the look and sleekness of a tinted car. And I keep getting phone calls on when I'm free to do a car!

I'm no professional by any means, and that's the first thing I explain to a customer when they call me. I do get dirt under the tint from time to time. There are minor imperfections from time to time. And there's always that possibility that I won't be able to complete a rear window.

But anyway. Hopefully you guys can help me along my journey if I need any help or have any question's! And maybe some day I'll be able to answer some of your question's! Thanks for reading! I'm uploaded some pictures of car's I have tinted at this time. Though I'm not sure I can post them yet. We'll see!

Hey guys. Finally joined the Tint Dude community! I've been searching around this forum for a while now. Learned a lot of things as well! Figured it was time to join and further my knowledge on this awesome awesome art form!

I'm a huge car guy (mostly SUV's). I have 3 Blazers, 06 Trailblazer SS, 94 S10 blazer, and a 93 S10 4 door blazer, that is bagged and body dropped. I attend car shows both local and out of state. I always give credit where credit is do though! Ive been doing tint jobs for around 5-8 years now. But that was using the junk tint from Walmart for the first 5 or so, and I wasn't nearly involved with it then as I am now. After searching around the forum here I found Howard at EWF. Super nice guy by the way. He got me hooked up with, and hooked on the EWF True Black line, and I use the 35/20/15/5%.

I'm down to the point where I know longer remove door panels. I can shrink most BG in one piece. I can only think of one car (Mazda 6) that I had to two piece. Though there are still a lot of tips and secrets I need to learn to further better my work. I've been doing 1-4 cars a week for the past 6 months to a year I would say. Obviously some weeks with no cars at all seeing as how this is just a side thing for me. I love the look and sleekness of a tinted car. And I keep getting phone calls on when I'm free to do a car!

I'm no professional by any means, and that's the first thing I explain to a customer when they call me. I do get dirt under the tint from time to time. There are minor imperfections from time to time. And there's always that possibility that I won't be able to complete a rear window.

But anyway. Hopefully you guys can help me along my journey if I need any help or have any question's! And maybe some day I'll be able to answer some of your question's! Thanks for reading! I'm uploaded some pictures of car's I have tinted at this time. Though I'm not sure I can post them yet. We'll see!

welcome aboard practice makes perfect

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

That's one thing that I believe keeps me going! I'm an extremely patient guy. Every time some one watches me tint, they always comment "I'd never have the patience to do this" Haha

That's one thing that I believe keeps me going! I'm an extremely patient guy. Every time some one watches me tint, they always comment "I'd never have the patience to do this" Haha

if you want some pro help come for a visit to ny

i use EWF on a daily basis i know all the ins and outs of the film and all the tricks

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr

Thanks for the warm welcoming guy's! The thing's I want to learn more about are just dumb things, that are probably a common thing that every tinter should know. But being that I've never had any training or schooling, it makes me wonder what's the best way. Or little things I could do to better myself.

For example, I already know that to shrink tint, you have to get all the fingers going up and down because you can only shrink tint up and down. Or like the trick to cutting two piece's of tint at one time. I know a few different technique's on installing tint on a bg. I know the different methods for shrinking a bg, like the soap or powder or dry sheet. I round all my corner's before installing.

But thing's that pop into my head that I wonder are better ways to cut the top of the tint. Like.. maybe a different way of holding my blade to make a smoother cut. Not that my cuts are hideous now, I've seen plenty that are worse, but there's always room for improvement's if you know what I mean. Another thing I would like to learn are just better way's to shrink a BG. What to do to not over shrink. Or shrink in the wrong area's. I usually do a wet check after I dry shrink, yet after applying the tint on the glass I still get a few finger's, more so along the bottom than the top. Could this be the way I'm pushing the water out? Or have I just simply not shrunk the tint enough. Other thing's I would like to learn are different way's to heat out small kinks in the tint. Every time I try, I usually scratch the tint with my hard card. Or the kink doesn't fully go away. I'm a picky person. And if I can still see where it was, then I'm not happy lol.

But anyway, sorry to write a book, I don't expect an answer for all of those questions, those are just things I'm hoping to learn and get better at!

Guest l1ld3v1lrydr
Dude, don't worry you are asking the right questions, which means you are going to find the answers and that's the 2nd best way to learn. The first is by mistakes. :lol

Haha isn't that the truth!

And Coast to Coast, I'll try to not believe "everything" I hear ;) :thumb

Guest scottydosnntkno

personally, I've been tinting for a while and still remove every single door panel or pull the gasket where applicable. I feel it gives a much better quality job, and i'd rather spend the 10 minutes to pull the panels and be done with it then spend 20 minutes chasing fingers that pop up. Based on your other picture thread you tend to get little fingers pop up on the bottom after the car is done. If you pull the panel and either heat the bottom a little or just wrap a scott blue towel around a hard card and knock out the water you won't have that problem. Blade another member on here also pulls all the panels from what I recall.

For the BG's, when dry shrinking i like to use a hard card and gently use it to flatten out the film while shrinking so it lays perfectly flat on the window. Some don't do this, but I never chase fingers after install doing it this way. Also make sure that the film is completely shrunk at least 1" past all the borders or else that little finger on the outside will be a big one or three on the inside. If you burn the edge of the film while shrinking(which can happen with TB when you give it a LOT of heat) trim it off and shrink out the little finger thats left. That small finger from the curled/burnt edge will be a PITA on the inside to lay down.

TB is not an easy film to get used to, and you have to know its tricks. One place to start would be to use EWF's Slip Tack mounting solutiong if you haven't already. Its free, and makes installing TB easier.

Archived