3M film turns windows into transparent solar panels

3M said the thin film can easily be applied to windows, generating power and cutting heat, and will begin sales next year.

By Jay Alabaster, IDG News Service

October 05, 2011, 6:37 AM — 3M has developed a see-through film that turns ordinary windows into solar panels. It will go sale next year.

The solar film, on display at the Ceatec electronics conference in Japan, is arrayed in narrow, translucent green strips with clear gaps between and then glued to windows in large patches. A square meter of the film can generate roughly enough electricity to charge an iPhone under peak sunlight, but still allows for high visibility.

The product currently generates only about 20 percent of the electricity that a traditional silicon solar panel does, and will cost about half as much, though the final price has not been decided.

But it is also far easier to install and takes up no additional space. 3M has strong expertise in adhesives, where its less technical products include Scotch tape and Post-it sticky notes.

"An average person could go to the store, buy some of this, and then bring it home and install it themselves," said Yasuhiro Aoyagi, a senior manager in the company's construction markets division.

He said it is made from an organic photovoltaic material that is printed on in sheets, and will come down in price as production increases. The film blocks or absorbs about 80 percent of visible light and over 90 percent of infrared light, so it also acts as a sunshade.

In the demonstration at Ceatec, thermometers on either side of a sheet of film attached to the outside of a window lit up by strong lights showed a difference of 10 degrees Celsius between the two sides, about 8 centimeters from the surface. Aoyagi said a square meter of the material can generate about 5 volts at 7 watts under peak conditions, and can operate under far less sunlight than it takes to power a conventional panel, so it will be active for more of the day.

3M hopes to target corporate and government buildings initially, then ramp up production for general use.

article link at : http://www.itworld.com/hardware/210279/3m-...nt-solar-panels

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

however, the last I read on these films, they had to be ordered in exact sizes for the windows, could not be cut to fit. If you also look at the pricing for regular solar panels, and consider the statement that the new film will 'COST half as much as regular panels", it will still be way out there on pricing. I have many friends who have had panels installed and they will be making payments for years on them......

however, the last I read on these films, they had to be ordered in exact sizes for the windows, could not be cut to fit. If you also look at the pricing for regular solar panels, and consider the statement that the new film will 'COST half as much as regular panels", it will still be way out there on pricing. I have many friends who have had panels installed and they will be making payments for years on them......

Cool :dunno

"The film blocks or absorbs about 80 percent of visible light and over 90 percent of infrared light, so it also acts as a sunshade... glued to windows in large patches"

:lol2 Sounds like it's going to have some uneven thermal stress?

Plus it sounds like it will be pretty dark. It seems as things are now people don't like darker then 35% film... if that. Having them put on a 20% film...

I like the idea, but it doesn't sound like many people will go for it. IMO.

Dark... generates 1/5th amount of power as normal panels, and costs 1/2 as much.

Hats off to 3M.

It makes good energy sense to take advantage of all that exposed/sunlit surface area.

Those who work in our trade (as installers) have the requisite skills to apply this product. In that respect, I hope it translates into a lot of installation work.

No doubt 3M will patent their version, but this is an off-shoot of the mature solar panel industry and I predict that no company will have a monopoly on this technology.

-Howard

I'm waiting for the vinyl siding solar panels to come out or the patio cement solar panels...lol

Hi Edge,

It a virtual certainty that someone is working on that somewhere. Converting all that surface area into energy generating capacity makes all the sense in the world. The biggest challenge is probably making it look attractive as well as functional.

-Howard

Very interesting technology. This has the potential to dramatically change our industry. With initiatives like Net Zero 2020 in CA, this may be one of the only ways many buildings can meet that standard. Hopefully this is the first of many new exciting products coming from 3M as a result of window film being in their Renewable Energy Division.

Archived