3M film turns windows into transparent solar panels

That's all well and true, but things aren't the same today.

In what way TD? I tend to want the government out of as much as possible, but there is a role in certain areas IMHO. I know that both CPFilms and 3M received money from the government to move energy reduction technologies forward. I think ultimately that can only be a good thing....especially for our industry.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is this possible to be an after market product? I do not see this happening in our market, ever. Think for a second. 20% VLT, ultra high absorption. What glass will withstand that much pressure when applied to the inside?

Next, are we electricians? Each window will have to be wired, who is going to do it? Where is the wiring going to be? I can picture wires dangling everywhere.

This technology will be laminated in new glass for new construction, but never aftermarket installations

Fortunately I think the prices will be so high hack tinters won't even touch it.... cause like mentioned - it's going to take more then a tinter to make it work...

Heh... could you imagine some guy on the corner selling this stuff and then installing it in someone's house?!?! LOL THAT would be a TV show in the making.

How is this possible to be an after market product? I do not see this happening in our market, ever. Think for a second. 20% VLT, ultra high absorption. What glass will withstand that much pressure when applied to the inside?

From what I understand, the product that will eventually hit the marketplace will be clear for the most part. I do agree that this may be several years out on the horizon, but I think that it is exciting nonetheless. :bingo

Archived