3M film turns windows into transparent solar panels

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the prototypes will be sold to our government at 1000x more than they are worth and some agency will tell us how great they are

You beat me to it. Im sure our govt is in the works of choosing a building to retrofit, and Im sure our President will have no hesistation to throw upwards of billions to get it done. It better pay for itself in 5-7 years. Can you imagine the cost of having to remove that suff? It isnt just a film installer doing the work...you will need electricians and a retrofit of the buildings electrical system to accept that sort of power source.

I will admit it though, WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THAT????

I have to laugh. It does not matter what 3M does, some of you will find fault and be critical. Meanwhile, if this news was coming from certain other manufacturers, some of you would be rating it on par with parting the sea and turning water into wine. :lol

I have to laugh. It does not matter what 3M does, some of you will find fault and be critical. Meanwhile, if this news was coming from certain other manufacturers, some of you would be rating it on par with parting the sea and turning water into wine. :lol

Im not faulting 3M. I think its a great idea, which is why I said, "why didnt I think of that?" However, our govt eats this sort of thing up, and its gonna cost us. Thats not 3Ms fault.

I'm sure you refer to me as a critical one. So yes I think it is well times hype. MMM, will as they said make it available to the govt first. Thus, getting WAY more than the material will ever fetch in the "retail" market. And at the end of it all, will be another line item in a bill that the tax payer will end up footing. If it ends up being the " Game changer" in the real world, than I will eat my words. But my guess is that MMM is looking at capitalizing on the Green movement with something cobbled together that they can get our govt to subsidize

I'm sure you refer to me as a critical one. So yes I think it is well times hype. MMM, will as they said make it available to the govt first. Thus, getting WAY more than the material will ever fetch in the "retail" market. And at the end of it all, will be another line item in a bill that the tax payer will end up footing. If it ends up being the " Game changer" in the real world, than I will eat my words. But my guess is that MMM is looking at capitalizing on the Green movement with something cobbled together that they can get our govt to subsidize

Not referring to you Junkie. Just commenting on several things I have heard/read since this news broke.

Many industries and products would not exist if not for the government investing up front to push technology. Most technology in aviation today exists as a result of technology that was originally designed for government use. I guess that was just Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas looking to capitalize on this crazy "flying" movement.

The issue is that 3M is working on technology that is out on the horizon, not the same old thing that has existed for the last 15-20 years. Is this going to be installed by tinters next week? No. But, is it an indication of where the market might be moving in the next 5-10 years? I say yes.

Many industries and products would not exist if not for the government investing up front to push technology. Most technology in aviation today exists as a result of technology that was originally designed for government use. I guess that was just Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas looking to capitalize on this crazy "flying" movement.

The issue is that 3M is working on technology that is out on the horizon, not the same old thing that has existed for the last 15-20 years. Is this going to be installed by tinters next week? No. But, is it an indication of where the market might be moving in the next 5-10 years? I say yes.

That's all well and true, but things aren't the same today.

Archived