15 mil on 0.4" glass: Do you know why this glass falls off so easi

Dear colleagues in the tinting business!

I would need your opinion and help on very troubling issue regarding security film installation.

I installed security clear 15 mil window film, that is made by well known company from USA that cost me tons of money to buy. The film has cost me about $--- per square foot ( about $-- per square mt) and I installed in on plain 10 mm ( 0.4 ") thick glass. The Glass I used was just plain floated glass not treated in any way (tempered, etc).

My experience in window films is for about 6 years and I like to think that I do very decent installations. I didn't use any chemicals in the water. This Installation of film was done about 7-8 months ago, so the film had all these months to cure in a room with temperature higher than 68 F( 20 C). A week ago, I took a baseball bat and tested this expensive film. To my shock, very large pieces of glass started falling of the film, not like it can be seen on many other Youtube videos testing security films, where only little pieces are ever falling off the film. In my case, pieces up to one square foot were simply peeling off with ease from this 15 mil window film. I tested the adhesive and it seemed to me that majority of the adhesive adhere to the glass, leaving almost no remains of the adhesive on the film…[/indent]

I uploaded a video to Youtube. Can you please be kind and tell me what you think I have done wrong or what can be wrong with installation or the security film?

I have a couple of things that I'm just putting it out there for you and others to ponder. Without knowing what film this is or what you used for slip or your real skill level. If too much slip is used it is actually a barrier to adhesion no matter how long you allow it to cook. Yes it will go down easily if you don't limp wrist it but is not likely to adhere properly EVER.

I have played with certain films in this manner. The names don't need mentioning because in EVERY case where "stupid" amounts of slip were added to the water and the "same" install techniques were used for the install. When just enough was added to get slip to occur the film stuck as intended. When the slip was increased more and more there was a point that the film came off without any real effort.

I would love to see a set of videos with measurements of slip and some device to measure the force applied during install to "prove " my observations.

I have a couple of things that I'm just putting it out there for you and others to ponder. Without knowing what film this is or what you used for slip or your real skill level. If too much slip is used it is actually a barrier to adhesion no matter how long you allow it to cook. Yes it will go down easily if you don't limp wrist it but is not likely to adhere properly EVER.

I have played with certain films in this manner. The names don't need mentioning because in EVERY case where "stupid" amounts of slip were added to the water and the "same" install techniques were used for the install. When just enough was added to get slip to occur the film stuck as intended. When the slip was increased more and more there was a point that the film came off without any real effort.

I would love to see a set of videos with measurements of slip and some device to measure the force applied during install to "prove " my observations.

he mentoined in his post that he didnt use any slip just straight water so that would rule out your assumptions.

I would say that if there was any problem with the mounting solution, the glue will remain on the Film. But more than 90% of the glue, was stuck on the glass. Is this normal?

It's acting like graffiti film.

Thanks for your input. Since we dont have in our market grafitti film, and I didnt had the chance to test how it works, can you please be more specific? I know what grafitti films is supposed to do, and i know that is not security film. We used the most expensive security film in our market, and the result are not good at all.

Archived